1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to handle this situation?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    You have planned to attend a major shoot. You have made all the arrangements. The big day comes, and after your first fired shot you here "LOST".

Nowadays, that single lost target has taken you out of any contention of possibly winning the event. How do you handle it? How do you stay focused? What are you now shooting for?

If you have been shooting for any amount of time this has possibly happened to you. After this happens, I personaly try not to just go through the motion of shooting. My mind is every where and not concentratng at the task at hand.

When this scenario happens to you how do you handle it?
    Steve Balistreri

2. shadow

shadow Active Member

Just shoot 99 expensive practice targets and wait for the next event.

3. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I'm only going to break 80 some,so no big deal.
    Clyde

4. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I know a MD shooter and many times All American, now Sr Vet, who has become so famous for missing the first target, that it's become known as the "Billy Bird" from the Silver Dollar to Elysburg. We all get 'em from time to time, and just smile, knowing that Billy has run many a 99 with that start. I sometimes think he does it just to make us think we can beat him.

best ...mike

5. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I'd just throw my gun on the ground and go sit in my car.

6. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I have had my best days after missing the first bird. it takes all of the pressure off and I'm sure drops my blood pressure along with it. Sure it eliminates the possibility of a straight on the first round, but like Shadow said, there are always more rounds to come. Bill

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

The pressure is off now. Run the rest of them, and tell everyone you missed the first bird. One miss, is still better then two.

8. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I just yell "CHIP"...........

ahahaha J/K. I just put my head down in shame and think...."why did you miss that dummy" Then take a deep breath and say Pull.

9. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I've actually seen more tantrums from guys missing the last bird. Saw a good friend slam the end of his gun on the ground and break the bead off. He borrowed a magnetic one and shot like sh** the rest of the day. Bill

10. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Throw your gun to me and tell me it's mine and your done with the sport. thats how you should deal with it Steve

11. senior smoke

I have missed my 100th target 3 x's in tournament shooting. Personally, that has to be one of the worst feelings.

Missing your first bird, there is no easy way to sugar coat it. Years ago, I had a stetch where I was hitting targets with absolute authority. I had run my first and only hundred straight, and I thought I was the next Bonillas, so I entered the Wisconsin state shoot and played all the money plus side bets.

The big day comes, and I can't wait to start shooting as I was picturing myself being in the shoot off for the state championship.

I hear "LOST", not once, not twice, but I missed the first 3 targets out. Needless to say, I had around as much chance of doing well in that shoot as a worm survivng in a hen house.

Felt lower than dog sh--.
    Steve

12. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

That's trapshooting!

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

If you play the Lewis, you're still in the hunt.

$5 for doubles is a bargain. $10 for the others is okay if they pay no more than three monies and attendance is decent. $20? It had better be at the Grand.

Bob Falfa

14. pdq

pdq Member

Miss the first target and then run 99? I call that an Irish 100.

Pete
    Parents Irish

15. senior smoke

pdq:
    Isn't that called taking a mulligan?
    Steve

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Happens quite often actually. Usually the guy smiles sheepishly and shakes it off. If a person only misses that one in a hundred then they will be in very good company at the end of the day. Even seen it happen to a few of the 'big dogs'.

The guys that have a fit really shouldn't be playing this game.

17. Michael Wascom

Michael Wascom Member

I've gone through my spell of missing the last target,this past Sunday I started the run on the first target so I figure in about 10 years I will have gone through all 100 and I won't ever miss another one.

Ya gotta think positive man!!!!!!!!!

18. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

In a 100 singles league shoot at North Carroll I had a Billy Bird, then ran 'em. After the last scored target, the puller and rest of guys on the squad told me I had to shoot one more for the "straight" & crushed that sucker. Billy was there and we had a good laugh about it.

best.....mike

19. hose 'em down

hose 'em down Active Member

I watched Frank Little drop the first 3 from the 27 in a handicap event years ago in Phoenix, he ran the rest of them. I think he won the event....great competitor.

Jack Walker from CA, now deceased, had so many 99's his friends called him Walker the Weeper and he had shooting patches made with a caricature of a guy crying while wiping his eye. If you we're lucky (?) enough to break a 99, Jack would award you one of his patches; I have one.

Ernie

20. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

The first year I shot the GAH, I came off the first trap with a 24. Another guy on the squad came up to me and said "you at least got a chance to win, it's over for me, I dropped a couple". We still had 75 birds to go and the guy gave up, and he acted it too. His head wasn't in the game from then on. After that for years I at least played the 25s in handicap, to at least keep my head in the game. Yeah you might screw up the first 25, but you got 3 more traps to salavage something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.