1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to handle autos without shell catcher??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by lumper, Aug 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lumper

lumper TS Member

There is nothing to do ... there is no rule, unless that particular range has a rule that anyone with an autoloader must use a shell catching device of any type.\

Sorry to hear of your indented wood but ... well ... if it had been bothering you that much you should have walked off the line earlier and shot with the next group.

2. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

If he ejected a shell and dented your firearm the individual is responsible for its repair. Very Simple. When you left the line you should have gone to the office and returned with a rubberband for him to place on the auto. If he would not have complied, shoot management should have been notified.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

3. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Range rules may vary from registerd shoot rules. Shooters beware.

Post-2

4. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I'd have probably done exactly what you did:

Exit the squad when the situation became intolerable.
    Answer the man's question honestly.

Sorry about your gun's dent. Try to be philosophical about it: nothing stays in new condition forever, not if it's being used.

5. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Ifner -

I don't think you put a lot of thought into that response.

Ever consider that the person who got hit with the hull was left-handed, and would therefore be facing the shooter and would not be able to protect his gun with his body? What makes you think the shooter had his gun up?

An ejected hull will dent forearm wood, I've seen it happen. It has nothing to do with the type of gun or type of wood. Wood is soft, metal is hard - do the math.

Why should I be expected to break my routine because someone doesn't have the proper consideration for his fellow shooter? Stepping back and forth may work for you, but for many people would be a distraction.

Scott

6. chc

chc TS Member

You should have left the line as soon as you knew the shells were being thrown. That way you could have shot your practice round after he was done and you wouldn't have a dent in your stock.

7. nicky

nicky Member

gp, i had this happen to me before in practice, when i go to the line in practice and see a autoloader to my left , being it's a right hand shooter i ask if they have a shell catcher on it, if not, i politely ask them to trade positions with me. if they won't i ask them to guarantee their empties won't fly over to my post, if they do i ask them to step off the squad and last if they won't then i'll step off the squad. as far as lrfner's comment, i have seen guns get dings from flying empties if you don't belive it, put your gun in the corner of your room and stand 10 feet away and throw shells at it. a autoloader on the line without a shell catcher is no different then someone with a break open taking their shell's out and throwing them at the shooter beside them. however to help new shooters do advise them of the do's and don'ts of the sport. a quick fix for a tempory shell catcher is a rubber band slid over the receiver located at the ejection port, most clubs might have one in the office. just my thought's, kevin

8. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Sounds like my Browning Golden Clays. I've shot a few autos in my day but never have I had one throw hulls as far as this one. I'm hoping to get a gunsmith friend of mine braze/weld a dot onto the barrel to throw the empties straight down instead of wwwaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy over there.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

9. trapperjohn

trapperjohn TS Member

A couple of weeks ago, I was on a squad with a new shooter on my left with a semi-auto. His shells were going past me between eye level and waist level. Take one in the side of the head and you will remember it. I held my gun vertical with my body between it and the incoming. It's a matter of pride. I don't want dings in the wood or chips on the metal finish. My theory is "you damage it, you pay for repairs". That's what I would offer if I damaged someones gun. Don't care if it's a $20K gun or an old Mossberg 500. Usually, I watch the shooters on the line to see who is throwing cases and don't get in the line of fire but, this was the first squad of the day.

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

gp1217, I've had my face hit, hulls onto my hat, hulls into my guns and made dents, hulls up and down my back side over the early years. In a practice situation like yours, I'd have had just one shell come too close for my comfort and excuse myself from the squad to finish later or even alone. On one occasion, however, a registered doubles event, I literally had to step off my post to the rear, let the bozo to my left shoot, then step up, settle in, and call for birds. The nimrod never did get the idea that it was him that was causing the delays. I swore then that I'd never put up with it again. Even in registered events, I'll walk off and resquad if the auto-loader next to me has no deflector or with the first shot(s), I know it will affect my shooting. I also would not have approached the man but I certainly would have told him the facts when he asked...breakemall....Bob Dodd

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Shootlow e-mailed me and is frantically looking all over his new auto, and he still can't find the shell catcher on it.

Hauxfan!

12. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I'll sit down by Shootlow's side and catch his shells for him. I require about $100,000 per year to do so.

13. Shotgun5

Shotgun5 Member

I don't know where you guys heads are but, go to the ATA book on Page 17 safety rules to be followed: # 15 Reads,All guns used by contestants must be equipped so as not to eject empty shells in a manner that subtantially disturbs or interferes with other contestants!!!!!!!!!!! Simple as that. And yes i have called different shooters on this rule. At the cost of targets today iam not going to put up with some one who wants to disturd another shooter!!

14. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I thought only proctologists and nurses were in the habit of disturding people...

15. lumper

lumper TS Member

As always the ATA book is just a set of guidelines up to the interpretation of whoever is going to use the book.

16. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Not just to pick on Bob Dodd, but the "bozo" might be a new shooter out trying our sport for the first time, or the first time in a long time. If I had a $10,000 gun and a guy was next to me with a semi sans shell catcher, I'd put the my body betwixt him and me. At least, to be fair, after the first shell hit my gun.

I read a lot about the sport when I first started shooting. I always asked the person to my right if flying hulls would bother them. Some people less informed might not even perceive a problem.

I shot with a squad not long ago with a shooter that had to be in his eighties shooting an 870. Every time he shucked in a shell, the trap would throw a bird out of turn. I guess I should have told the old guy to get his s**t together or get off the line.

By the way, my Beretta 390 that I've been shooting trap with spits a shell out pretty hard. It could probably dent a stock or forearm. I have a shell catcher now that cost $11.00. A rubber band will do about the same job, for less than $0.01.

If you're sensitive about this, or your gun is worth more than some poor guy's feelings, keep a supply of rubber bands handy.

Or, we could reserve this sport only for people with guns that cost more than most new cars.

JMHO.

Danny

17. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

I have shot an 1100 for years, the only gun I shoot, I have shot over 25,000 doubles. And yes i have seen my empties hit a lot of people. never had anyone get mad, in fact if I dont know the person on my right, I usually warn them before we start shooting that they may catch a few of my empties.... BUT, on the other hand, I have also had at least 3 people over the years that told me they shot their BEST doubles score EVER, standing to my right, they would wait until my empties passed them and then put there gun up. They all told me it made them concentrate harder and pay more attention. I am sure they didnt mind getting hit with an empty if they could walk of the line with a smile from a Good score.

Dennis Whitlock

18. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

And by the way, i do have a wire catcher made into my barrel for 16s and handicap

Dennis Whitlock

19. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

And by the way, i do have a wire catcher made into my barrel for 16s and handicap

Dennis Whitlock

20. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Running a public range and working the register more than I care to admit - I'm the gatekeeper. If someone I don't recognize comes in, I ask what kind of firearm they're shooting and offer some rubber bands and instruction on how to place them.

There is no reason for reticence in correcting adverse behavior in a gentlemanly manner.

Jay Spitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.