1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to grow big Peaches??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blkcloud, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I planted 2 peach trees 3-4 years ago.. every year they are loaded down to the point of almost breaking their limbs.. between the deer and the jap beetles I only get a few but.. all of them are just a little bigger than a golf ball.. The picture on the card that came with the trees showed peaches big as softballs.. What can I do to grow big peaches? thanks!

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Fertilize and water the trees, at least that's worked good for ours

3. kenf

kenf Active Member

Thin the fruit to about 10 inches apart and spread nitrate of soda around the perimeter below the outermost limbs where the feeder roots are.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Go to a local peach orchard and see how they have pruned their trees. HMB

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

prunng is the secret.

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Too many peaches for that tree to produce good peaches ... as others ahve said ... prune it!

7. quartering

quartering Active Member

pruning, fertilizing and watering. most just fertilize and water the surface of the earth and hope for the best. but you really need to get down and deliver it to where the roots are. and that's a lot like work. good luck with it

8. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

You gotta thin the peaches out. An old farmer told me you need to at least be able to put your fist between the peaches. If you can't put your fist between 2 of em remove 1 of em. Thin em out.

On a side note, I was defrosting the freezer this spring and I still got frozen peaches from the year 1999, and every year since. I gotta get to eating.

9. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Ummmmmmm boy. 12 year old frozen peaches. Now that there is some good eatin.

10. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

blkcloud,

Early in the season, when the trees are flowering, thin by hand with flowers about 18" apart, then after fruit sets in, re-thin again when they are about the size of your thumb, taking off stuff that is close to the crotch of the limbs, doubles and tripples and such. This will keep the tree stress free of trying to produce more fruit than it can grow big. Taking the stuff off close to the crotch of the branch will help when it does become the size of a softball so it won't rip the skin on a good tree ripened peach!! If you need more peaches don't try to grow them all on one tree, plant more trees.

A good aplication of Sevin in the early spring along with some copper will help with leaf curl. l.g. (200+ acres of Apples, peaches, cherries and pears. Grown in Oregon and delivered all over the world.)

11. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

They are golf ball size now.. is it too late this year for the fert. and thinning? thanks!

12. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Don`t know much about fruit trees but when we were young , there was 2 orchards across the street from our house in NJ and during the picking season my brothers and I would go out and get our fill of apples and peaches then bring some home for our mother to use up baking and canning . This was over 50-55 years ago and there was never any problem with the land owners . One thing we all remembered was the 4 or 5 peach trees in the bunch that had the biggest peaches I`ve ever seen - the size of grapefruits ?? I do know they didn`t prune much or fertilize much then either but every year we knew just what trees to go to first . They were always better tasting than the regular smaller standard fruits . To this day both my brothers remembered those peaches . Another grower did fertilize with the strangest thing -- rotten or half hatched chicken eggs -- about 2 bushels around each apple tree . Couldn`t say if they made bigger or better apples than the rest but it sure kept us away from that section of the orchard . I sure miss those days .

13. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

How far out are you from harvest do you think? 8 weeks or more would be certainly worth your time to thin, less than 4 weeks, you won't see much improvement if any at all.

14. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

I like little peaches and Big peaches. More than a mouth full..............never mind. Allen

15. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Start to fertilize now for next year. Also get a all natural spray for leaf curl and cancor.
    Best fertilizer I ever found for peaches is one horse road apple per 5 gallon pail of water. Stir to make a tea. Pour about a foot away from the trunk of the tree. Couple times in the spring and summer and fall. Don't go heavy or it will burn the rootstock.

16. shootsun

shootsun TS Member

-Awbenz LOL!

I just sent her to a Doctor and voila! huge peaches! I mean umm...err..

Shane

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.