1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to grow 10 foot tomato plants

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by smsnyder, May 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Pot (Self watering planter) has a water trough at the bottom. Fill half way with potting soil. Water, Put plant in and fill up with more soil. Mix fertilizer with all potting soil.

2. smsnyder

Early Girl tomato plants. They start producing tomatos early.

3. smsnyder

4. smsnyder

5. smsnyder

My wife is a master at growing tomatos. You must water plants every day You will get hundreds of good eating tomatoes right off the deck of your pourch. Plants must have sunlight. Make sure you put a sheid/support around tomato plant to keep them from falling over. They get huge this way.

6. smsnyder

Its that easy. The key is good sunlight and water every day.

7. smsnyder

I forgot spray plant for insects from time to time.

8. smsnyder

Eddie my wife is the tomato plant master grower not me. LOL

9. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Do the Tomato Worms grow larger also? When I was much younger, one of my chores was to pick the tomato worms off the vine. I still remember when you dropped a rock on them how they squirted out. Larry

10. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Geez earl! You should have let your wife mix the weed killer on the grass. Jeff

11. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Wish my tomatoes looked this good.

12. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Tomatoes? We had snow less than a week ago.....how do tomatoes and snow mix?

Rick in MT

13. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I haven't even planted my tomatoes yet. It has been too cool. Hope to put a few in the ground this weekend.

I've always been careful when fertilizing tomatoes, don't put too much nitrogen on em. My Dad fertilized the heck out of his one year and he ended up with 12 ft tall plants, but NO tomatoes.

We ought to have a contest to see whom gets the first ripe tomato this year. It won't be me for sure, but would still be interested in seeing who is the tomato champ of ts.com. We could have a North of the Mason/Dixon line and a south of the line champ.

14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I'll take a few lbs of your hands ; )..I luvz dem fried green 'maters

15. Kemen053

Kemen053 Member

Earl,these would have ended up 8 or 9' ,probably 6 in the photo, no red ones yet.

16. Wolf172

Wolf172 Member

Out of curiosity what do you guys spray on your tomato to kill or keep insects of of them. The wife just bought me a plant about 3 weeks ago and as of yesterday I have 7 tomatoes on it. It had one when she bought it and then another popped up shortly after and yesterday saw the other five. Also didn't know I should water it every day. I have problably watered it about every other day.

17. Grayson Mayne

Grayson Mayne Member

Kemen503 that plant is like a drug store cowboy, all hat. What you get for watering it every day. All plant no fruit. Water tomatoes once per week if you just have to. Watering every day just promotes shallow roots. The tomatoes likes it dry. Much better fruit. Too much water and you have to add calcium or you get clefts in the fruit. Dry weather concentrates the flavor.

18. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

Just planted mine today...auto watering dribbler set five mins every third day, with a deep pipe (3ft), to get the soil wet below the roots...makes 'em grow deeper...Beefsteak/better boy hybrids....yum-yum...pics when I pick 'em....lb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

growing 10 foot tomatoes