1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to get wheel weights??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by famill00, Jun 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Do you guys who use wheel weights to make shot get them from the bigger chain stores or from the small local guys??? I am interested in getting some wheel weights....to make sinkers and start a collection for possibly getting a shot maker....

Forrest

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

You could easily pop them off the tires of the cars in the WalMart parking lot!

3. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Any NON-Jackass comments are welcome.

Forrest

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Try you'r local scrap metal dealer.

John C. Saubak

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

What would be the total cost of a bag of shot if the lead came from a scrap metal dealer?

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Well, unless you can find someplace that'll >give< 'em to you, you're gonna' have to pay scrap lead prices. When a tire shop has a bunch of used wheelweights to unload why would they give 'em to some guy that walks in off the street when they can sell 'em to the local scrap metal dealer?

John C. Saubak

7. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

the problem now is ebay the fed law says you can not reuse but the little guys do the big places have contracts in WV and near by scrap dealers are at 35/40 a lb and by the time u melt and get the clips and junk out your at 50 a lb best idea i have found is to go to car dealers and try to make a deal to buy them i think the scrap yard are paying 15 to 20 lb so if you tell them you will pick up them some times will go for it but with ebay so many have found out they can get 75 to 1.00 a lb they are drying up fast factory shot is around a 1.00 alb so unless you shoot a lot its not worth it rick

8. oletymer

oletymer Member

Pay any shop 10% more for the lead and you will have a good supply. All these shops are in the business of making money and you will get a good supply. You can then make shot at pretty good prices.

9. sherpa

sherpa TS Member

i just picked up 100 # for 15.00 they had 55 gal drums. i just bought what i needed for bullets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.