1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to get out of a slump

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by phirel, Dec 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

Last Summer I found myself in yet another slump. I had lunch with my "coach" Earl and wish to pass on his advice to everyone else about shooting slumps.

First, Earl said don't worry too much about a slump. They happen to everyone. They come and go. Then he told me to shoot more, you can't get out of a slump by not shooting. And most important, have fun.

Earl never wasts words with his advice and he can give many years of experience in two or three sentences.

Pat Ireland

2. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Earl obviously doesn't have investments in energy-dependent industries if he doesn't worry about slumps. :}

I've found exactly the opposite works for me...if I stop shooting for a couple of weeks, I usually forget to do what I was doing wrong and my scores improve.

Morgan

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Go Bowling ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Change something, anything. Gun, shells (faster or slower), rib height, vest(no vest), choke, hold point, ect. just change something. Watch the movie "Tin Cup."

5. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

By far the best way is to buy another gun. The damn gun you have been shooting is not hitting anymore. That's why I have 12 trap guns. But I just know it isn't me it's the damn gun. Ben

6. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I've found that a slump will fade away just by keep doing what I've been doing for years.
    I don't buy a new gun(not usually, anyway), I don't shoot even more, I don't take a vacation from shooting, I don't change loads/hold points/timing/etc.
    I just keep doing what I've always been doing and eventually the slump, while it doesn't permanently go away, it at least takes a short recess.

7. emm2

emm2 Member

I have found that when I get in a slump I have changed something. Go back and focus on the basics, foot position, hold point or eye position. Get the basics correct and your slump will go away.

8. Steer Tripper

Steer Tripper TS Member

I was always told when I rodeoed that you roped yourself into a slump and you roped yourself out.
    A World Champion told me to always go back to the fundementals. A good foundation is not anything its everything.
    I have been in s slump for over a month but this week after ten rounds of practise I am once again shootin in the 90's. I have only been shooting for about ayear.
    As a Texas Ranger friend always told me "Don't let the B@#%*&d get you down".

David

9. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I was in a slump once, but my Mother told me to stand up straight.

I did and "Eureka", the slump was gone.

Hauxfan!

10. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Ditto what Earl said!

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

"And most important, have fun." Very important words by Earl! Seems to me the top shots might have a hiccup now and then but certainly not a slump as we mere mortals have. They enjoy each clay and see it for what it is, one at a time. That, while the rest of us are thinking 5s, 25s, 50s and so on, er countin backward from 100? It's easy for the mind to go to sleep when bored? :) Hap

12. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

Take a couple weeks off and then start back with the basics. Lock the trap on straighaways and pound a couple hunderd targets. Lock the trap on hard lefts and rights and pount a couple hundred targets. The worse thing you can do is change something on your gun or how you mount or hold the gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.