1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to get out of a bad slump

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yakimaman, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Not that I was all that good to begin with but am really in the dumps now. Trying to convince my wife that the best way to do that is to ditch the BT99s, the BT100 and get Yakimaman a Yakima gun. Took a demo ride on a new Ljutic Monogun with the one-touch rib - nice one! But seriously, any suggestions on how to beat a slump - started the season doing well but am lucky to break 20 anymore. Seeing the bbl a lot, shooting low and some times shooting I have no idea where.

rm

2. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

rm : If I get in a slump it is for only one reason, I am not finding and focusing on the bird coming out of the house and locking on to it. Going back to basics will always get you out of a slump. It is usually NOT the gun if you have been shooting it for any length of time.

CM

3. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

I came to the state shoot weds shot 97 in singles thought allright this is my week, the thursday I slumped 84 cap 91 sin 91 caps wanted to go home then fri got to the line and kept saying KEEP HEAD DOWN got 93 caps and then 189 today. not world beater scores but good for me. So I say to you KEEP HEAD DOWN.

4. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

What Claymuncher said. Be sure you are not moving the gun until you clearly see the bird and read it's direction. Marc

5. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

To help you out on your quest for a new gun I find I'm able to go back to the "basics" when shooting a new gun. You tend to pay more attention with something different. Works with sex also until the wife finds out then the game is over.

6. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

let me know on the bt100--i'm lookin for one!

7. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Buy my Seitz!

blade819

8. Goliad

Goliad TS Member

Like everyone says, back to basics.
    I sometimes find it helps to go to a back-up gun for a week or two. Helps to clear my head and get a fresh start with my main gun.

Good luck.

9. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Hmmm, "Seeing the barrel alot". That may be your first clue. "Shooting low" may be the second. I always said you have to shoot your way out of a slump with practice rounds until you are not thinking about it anymore. The barrel should disappear, because your concentration will eventually just be on the bird again. Confidence also is key. Jon

10. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Go back to a gun that you shot well. Shoot light loads and work on the basics. Deep in your brain, there is a memory of every target you ever shot. If you shot a gun and load well, why did you ever switch?

Start with a comfortable and balanced stance. This may sound simple but look to ensure that you are not leaning to one side or another or are leaning too far forward. Have a buddy watch your stance, especially when your are tired or during the latter part of a sub event.

Work on mounting the gun by pulling it into your shoulder and doing a bead check to ensure proper mount and no canting.

Look away from the bead into your hold spot and feel the comb of the stock well against your cheek. Hold below where you expect to break the target.

Don't hold the gun too tight.

Watch what the targets are doing as there is usually some wind. Don't get surprised by a target that takes a different flight path. Surprise means panic and panic means "loss".

Call for the target and get a good "eye lock" on the target. Think "see the target, shoot the target."

Forget about everything as you "lock on" to the target.

Swing and let all the years of accumulated practice take over. "Stay in the gun", that is, head on comb and butt against shoulder until the target breaks. Follow broken pieces after the breaks if this helps.

IMO, every person sees a lead differently. I try and keep it simple. I seldom see a lead as I increase my swing speed to establish the required lead. In some "games", where we shoot crossing targets from an adjacent field, I do see a lead.

Swing into the target by moving your hips and raise the gun to meet the target.

Swing through the target and break it.

If all else fails, go back to a Winchester Model 12 or a Remington 870 and shoot only 16 yard targets until you get out of your slump.

Ed Ward

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Check your trigger pull or let off poundage before doing anything else.

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Get a new pair of glasses. HMB

13. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

You suddenly did not wake up one morning and forget how to shoot. The only thing wrong with you is that you are looking for an excuse to purchase a different gun.

Once you get the different gun your scores will increase until you get another bout of the gotta haves. Trust me, I have been there, done that. Stick with one gun, as your scores and your pocket book will both improve.
    Steve Balistreri

14. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper Member

I don't know if this will help you out or not, but it's probably the best thing I've ever done for my game. I use to try to "anticipate" the bird's flight.

My process to beat this down? Make my son hand pull for me. Let him "forget" to pull sometimes. He loves trying to fool me. No pull at all, on time pulls, slow pulls, & even some 2-3 second delays. The challenge for myself is for my gun not to move even a little bit until that bird is flying. And I've gotten darn good at it. It's a small thing but maybe the one thing I'm proudest about my trap shooting.

Good luck in all your challenges. It's what keeps me coming back!!!

Gene.

15. warren

warren Member

After over three years of getting gradually worse I finally spent the money and went to a Kiner Clinic after about three minutes of watching me shoot he told me what my problem was and I have been gradually improving since. My point is there may be a flaw in your shooting that you are not aware of and having a pro look at you will reveal it to you. I was crossfiring and was totaly unaware of it now at least I know what the problem is.

warren

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Ignore 95% of what you read on t.com and find a top shooter coach!!

17. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Give up shooting and save a ton of money. LOL

18. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

Warren : oleolliedawg : Good point, better idea.

CM

19. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

When I get in abit of a slump I just shoot a different game. Try some Sporting Clays or some Skeet for several weeks and once you get comfortable shooting one or both of those then go back to Trap!!! Your starting to get bored just shooting one. "Trust Me" I"ve been there. break em all Jeff

20. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Warren and Oleolliedawg gave good advice. Get ahold of Phil Kiner's DVD for a start; you could be crossfiring and not know it. Do get a good coach to help you out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to get out of a trap shooting slump

how do you get out of a slump when trap shooting

how to break a trap shooting slump