1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to get out a stuck (frozen) choke tube

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pens1992, May 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pens1992

pens1992 TS Member

Hi I recently bought a used bt 99 for my son and cannot get the choke tube out or even get it to turn. I used the browning wrench without it budging so I bought carlsons choke tube wrench and still I can't budge it I now have it soaking in PB Blaster any advice would be great Thanks Don

2. buckshot

buckshot Active Member

Shoot the gun hot and then try, good luck, Tom.

3. Irfner

Irfner TS Member

Don
    The easiest way is to put a wad in the barrel to seal the choke then put in a piece of dry ice. In a few seconds the choke can be removed with the choke wrench.

4. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

warm it with a propane torch and melt a candle or a crayon in the threads. not hot only warm enough to melt the candle. works on all kinds of plumbing jobs also large and small pipe fittings. try it the next time you have a stuck pipe. motordoc

5. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Heat gun, electric, applied with care to the outside of the barrel may swell the barrel enough to let it break loose. Also, put the wrench into the tube, tap it with a plastic mallet...straight down, fairly lightly which may break loose the crud that is probably holding it in. When you get it out, clean threads well and apply anti-sieze before putting it back in.

I had a shotgun one time that the tube couldn't be turned but found a small ding at the muzzle locking it in. Tapping out the ding with a small drift punch let it screw right out. Check this out also.

6. olddrum1

olddrum1 TS Member

I keep a two foot piece of pvc with a cap glued on in the shop. I clamp it to my small ladder in the up position, pour WD40 in it and soak anything I want overnight in it. Works pretty good for long parts.

7. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Get some Kroil ; stand the barrel and CT in a container with enough Kroil to cover the CT . Let stand for a few days . Use something like a hair dryer and heat the barrel BELOW the CT and when the barrel gets REALLY WARM , then remove the CT .

Charlie

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Take an empty one pound coffee can and fill it half way with kerosene. Submerge choke in kerosene and let stand over night. Place barrel in padded vice and unscrew choke. HMB

9. tjcutter

tjcutter TS Member

I second the Kroil. Have had it work several times. Great stuff.

Tom

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

One more vote for Kroil. It even gets under rust spots and lifts them off.

Sneaks in almost anywhere.

HM

11. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

One more vote for the qualified gunsmith. There's nothing worse than hearing, "I would have been able to get it out if you wouldn't have buggered it up!"

Carol Lister

12. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

About 5 years ago I had a stuck tube in a Beretta 682. I tried every trick you guys have put up here to no avail. That tube was in to stay. After all the trying I took the gun to Chris Vendel, Chris said he would do his best to get it out. This was on a Thursday morning. Saturday Chris showed up at the club with my BBL in a gun sock, the club was packed. He said in a loud voice " Oh Barney I got your chock tube out but we had a little trouble" everyone looked in his direction as he let the BBl slide out of the sock and in what seemed like slow motion hit the concrete floor and bounce up about 2 feet. My mouth dropped as did everyone else's in the club. The end of the BBL was bent up at a 30 degree angle. Chis had machined a block of aluminum and welded 2 pc.s of 3/4 in electrical conduit to it and painted it black. After the big shock the place busted up. Chris's response was " Gotcha" He did get my tube out with on damage to my BBL.

13. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

All of the above ideas are good. I tried them all soaked barrel 30 days in Kroil, used PB blaster, used heat, used cold. Was only able to move tube 1/4 inch. Sent it to Briely. They got it out with out any damage to barrel or threads. Why take a chance of damage to the barrel.

14. TW2

TW2 TS Member

one trick that often works (in addition to, not instead of all the other treatments mentioned) is to first try and TIGHTEN a stuck nut (or choke tube) before trying to loosen it

it works more often than not

tom williams

15. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

One of the best methods which is used by tube installers is to put the wrench in a vise and bring the barrel to the wrench, not the other way around. I tried this and it worked like a charm after I had ruined a choke tube wrench and scored the choke tube trying to turn it with a large pipe wrench - unsuccessfully!

16. fiftystr8

fiftystr8 TS Member

Kroil. If that doesn't do it, nothing will!

17. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

Seminole Chokes can remove it for you

18. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Do all the above postings, then put wrench in vise and take Bbl to the vise and attempt to tighten then loosening, back and forth and that lets the penetrating oil work it's way into the threads, and always use a lube that will not absorb moisture, Like CMD and also non acidic or corrosive. Nothing gets stuck like a dry tube put in the Bbl, and some used guns have had RED LOCTITE put on the threads because the tube was getting loose, almost impossible to remove a tube when RED LOCTITE has been used,

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

19. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Don: My son had the same problem. He soaked it overnight in kerosene and it finally , (after many attempts) broke loose. However, I understand each case is different. As this gun had Briley choke tubes; I called Briley. They were very helpful and told me that if we couldn't loosen it, we should send it to them. They even told me that they would do it for free and only charge me for shipping. I would surmise that they wouldn't do this without charge if the tubes were not Briley. But that would be my advice. Don't force anything. If it don't budge send it to Briley or someone comparable. As was stated; there are a lot of so called gunsmiths out there that leave a lot to be desired and could cause more harm than good. Good Luck. Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta stuck choke tube

forum how to unscrew stuck choke on shotgun

frozen shotgun choke extractor
how do i get a stuck choke out of a shotgun

how to get a stuck choke out of a shotgun

how to remove frozen shotgun chock
kerosene for stuck choke
removing stuck shotgun choke tubes