1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to get oil out of a stock?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by EE, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EE

EE Banned User Banned

I've got an old Model 12 with a *lot* of oil in the wrist area of the stock. I want to get it all out, but without ruining the finish, like Whiting does. I've tried low heat in the oven, and cat litter, and have got some of it out, but there's a lot still there. What else works?

TIA,

EE

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Remove the drain plug and change the filter. HMB

3. oz

oz Active Member

BP

4. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I know this BP can't help . I do not think it can be done without damaging the finish if you do get it out I sure would like to know how.

5. mx2k33

mx2k33 Well-Known Member

You could try wiping the area repeatedly with isopropyl alcohol, 90%. It should not harm a polyurethane finish if it is still intact.

6. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I have had success applying low heat to the bare wood where it meets the receiver and wiping off the oil as it comes to the surface with a cloth soaked in denatured alcohol or ordinary rubbing alcohol. It probably won't remove it all but a lot will com out. It may or may not discolor/remove the finish.

7. Paphman

Paphman TS Member

To get oil out of a stock, there is a product called K2R spotlifter, it is available on the net. Spray it on and ley dry, brush it off, repeat untill you get the results you like. This product was made for this.

8. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Might try a prayer, that is your only hope.

9. missemucho

missemucho Member

I used to re-do old military stocks; first I tried sanding to get the oil out--no luck. Then I read an article about refinishing old stocks that said to use the cheapest spray on oven cleaner you can find. Spray it on, leave it for about 1/2 hr then wash it off with water; repeat as necessary. Believe it or not, it pulls the oil right out of the wood! Refinished at least a dozen using this method and they all turned out well.
    John

10. EE

EE Banned User Banned

John, doesn't the oven cleaner take the finish off as well?

doggai, as I said in the OP, I've already tried cat litter. It took some out, but not all.

I could just use Whiting and refinish the stock, but then I'd have to reblue the metal to match. Don't want to do that. This gun is well-worn, but it was made in 1929 and I would like to keep it original; it has character. But I do want to get the oil out.

Any other ideas?

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I've only been successful with the whiting. Once you get that oil out, however you do it, switch to a synthetic (zero petroleum) lube. It wont stain the wood. Good luck.

12. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Non-chlorinated brake cleaner.

13. missemucho

missemucho Member

EE:
    I honestly can't tell you what the oven cleaner will do to your finish; I knew going in that I was going to have to redo the stocks after my first experience with an oil soaked '98 mauser. In my experience (limited to cheapie stocks) there's almost nothing that doesn't require a refinish. You may have to bite the bullet--the longer that wood stays oil-soaked the softer it gets and the more damage is done.
    John

14. Danny56

Danny56 TS Member

There is a product called TSP it is Wallpaper sizing. It comes in a spray or in a milk style carton that you mix with water. Buy the later. Mix a generous amount in a bucket and let the oiled part of the stock soak in it. It may not get all the oil out but may get most of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.