1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

how to get glue off stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by musky, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musky

musky TS Member

got glue on a brand new 1100 stock. Was wondering what i can use to get the glue off without hurting the clear coat. I was once told that you could use finger nail polish remover, but i dont know if it will effect the clear coat. Thanks for any help from larry.

2. twotimer

twotimer Member

Muskie, what kind of glue? If it is a wood glue like Elmers, they are water based and will come off with water. If it's super glue, that would be nail polish remover and I think it would probably mess up the stock. Someone on here might know more. Mike

3. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

I've used plain rubbing alcohol without damaging the original finish.

Robert

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

If the glue has dried, there is not much I can advise to do. Exept you might try pulling it off with your fingernails or a plastic putty knife. Don't let the plastic knife come in contact with the stock if you can. The stocks finish will more than likly be damaged to some degree under the glue but may come back somewhat with some polishing compound if it does not come up with the glue. If it will not pull up, you could tape off all 4 sides around glue and sand out the glue. Once sanding close to flush with stock you go up in sandpaper to like 400 wet dry paper and compond and polish the rest until spot is gone. I would not use anything stronger than Mineral spirts/paint thinner to remove anything on a stocks finish. You might also want to do nothing and see if comes off on its own over time. Wood will expand and contract over time, different seasons and so forth. If its 2 part expoxy well forget it, it permanent. Good Luck and Breake-m all. Jeff

5. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Get GOO gone. Any hardware store.

6. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

If nothing else works I would try polishing compound. Most of the modern finishes are pretty tough. I have tried to remove Tru-oil with laquer thinner , acetone and a variety of others without success. And Tru-oil is not nearly as tough as some of the factory finishes like epoxy.

7. high 2

high 2 Member

What kind of glue? Need to know to get you going the right way. Larry

8. musky

musky TS Member

the glue of choice is gorilla glue(i didn't mean to drip it on the stock)

9. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Finger nail polish is Acetone. Try a little on the inside part of the forend and see if it affects the finsih. It should not, but make sure. If it does, you will have to use 1000 grit sandpaper and fold it over several times. Lightly sand the high spots util it is even with the original finish. After that rub it with a rag and some headlight lens cleaner, or very fine polishing compound. Put some automotive wax on and rub. Buff with a soft rag. Jon

P.S. You might want to pray while you are doing this.

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Heat and gently lift it a bit at a time.

11. UncleWray

UncleWray TS Member

Gorilla glue is a polyurethane. Tough stuff and they added "tougheners" to make it more resilient. Last time I got in on my hands, lacquer thinner worked well.

So anything short of liquid nitrogen won't do much on the cold side (IMHO)

On the solvent side acetone will be just fine. Most modern stock finishes are pretty much solvent resistant (so that you have a heck of a time getting them off to refinish).

So the idea of seeing if acetone will affect your finish (on the inside of the fore end) is a dandy idea.

BTW--I usually start with something less aggressive (like denatured alcohol or 90% + rubbing alcohol before I take out the big guns.)

If it won't come off with solvent, try scraping it off. Take a double sided razor blade, but some tape on one on the edges and gently scrape. Double sided blades are thin, flexible, and sharp and really do a nice job on small stock scrape projects. Polish out any minor scratches with auto wax.

Stress, not, it will come off and nobody will be the wiser.

12. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Some adhesives are removable with WD40 or lighter fluid. Never tried either one on Gorilla glue. Good luck

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.