1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to get butt plates flush with stock?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

What procedure will get the adj butt plates flush with the stock and the butt pad?

I've got a little lip all the way around that irritates the hell out of the inside of my arm when shooting in a t-shirt.

I've used a pencil to mark the plate and grind right up to the mark, but it's not quite where I want it.

What's the correct way to get this perfect? I've seen the results, now wonder how. I could put masking tape on the wood and grind right up the the tape so that if I go a little too far, the tape takes the hit not the stock. There's a little shelf on my grinder I can put the gun on and work around the curve... Will try this.

Thanks,
    Joe

2. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

You are on the right track. Try using clear scotch tape or similar as it is a little thinner and will get you a little closer. you might try using a file when you get to the last little bit as you can use it more precisely than a grinder/sander and then polish it up with fine sand paper like 500 grit wet or dry. The pro's have a jig that can be bought from brownells that takes a lot of the guess out of the process but if you are careful you can get an acceptable job done.

Bob

3. high 2

high 2 Member

Pay a pro.

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Use a scribe, not a pencil and remove the scribe line as you grind the the plate. I've never found it necessary to leave the plate on the gun. I built a disc grinder that has a flat table set at a right angle to a 10 inch disc driven by a 1700 rpm motor. Finishing is done with a sanding drum and 600 and 1000 paper in a drill press.

MK

5. andybull

andybull Active Member

"Get the hanging jig from brownells and the correct grits of sanding disks or belt and learn to do it right. Shootlow".

What Shootlow said plus a sharp scribe, a pencil lead is too thick.

Andy

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Joe- I do it with a method that everyone else says is the wrong way. It probably is, but it works for me. I put a layer of heavy duck tape on the stock and grind the pad down with the wood in place. I use a five foot belt sander mounted on a heavy steel table (edging sander) and sand so the pad is just a little above the tape. I finish with hand files. One slip with my method will require refinishing the stock.

When I was doing a lot of stock work, I always fit the pad to the raw wood of the stock. That is simple. You can sand the stock and the pad at the same time.

Pat Ireland

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

As thin as that scribed line is, you need to grind/sand half of that away. I use a 100 grit belt on my floor model sander and a B-Square Jig. I do start of by removing the bulk of the plate with a bandsaw.

I next use a 320 grit "band" on a rubber wheel mounted to a 1700 rpm arbored motor, with the plate removed. This changes the direction of the sanding marks to running around the plates.

I finish with a light buff. While buffing, use the wheel to break the sharp edges.

One other thing, always use the counter-sink wood screws throughout the job. You know, the screws with the taper under the head. This will always keep the plate aligned with the end of the buttstock.

Doug

8. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Thanks for the tips.

This is from Brownell's website: " The stock is first cut to the length and pitch required to fit the customer. The pad is attached to the stock, and the outline of the stock is sharply scribed on the pad. Then the pad is transferred to the base plate of the Jig, the angle of pitch is set, the Jig is put on its support and the pad is dressed to the point of just removing the scribed line (this is necessary as the line was drawn outside the stock). Finally, transfer the pad to the stock. No further dressing is required. The lines of the stock are carried correctly into the pad - and you have a perfect fit!"

9. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Boy... someone made a killing off the patents for THAT contraption!

MK

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The hanging jig works good If you do them often.

The one shown works with a disk sander quite well. Also easy to home brew. I have used an abrasive blade in a table saw effectively.

Midway sells it, I believe.

[​IMG]

HM

11. dverna

dverna Active Member

HM

I have used the same jig successfully. But I have grown lazy and now have Tron do my work.

Don Verna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

the stock software flush

where can i buy a jig to do butt and scribe

where can i get a butt plate for my gun