1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to get a building permit in USA

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 391 shooter, Aug 3, 2013.

1. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I recently applied for a building permit for a new house.

It was going to be 100 ft tall and 400 ft wide, with 9 gun turrets at
    various heights, and windows all over the place and a loud outside
    entertainment sound system.

It would have parking for 200 cars, and I was going to paint it snot
    green with pink trim.

The City Council told me; Forget it...AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!

So I sent in the application again, but this time I called it a
    'Mosque'.

Work starts on Monday.

I love this country. It's the Government I'm afraid of.

2. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

391 And it will be exempt from property taxes.

3. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

I have, which may become HAD, plans to put up a shed (10x16) to store the lawn tractor, sweeper & dump cart. Got the word that we needed to get a building permit, This was for a pre-built shed from a local Amish carpenter.

Well, the building permit needs, in addition to what is being built, what costs, and where things like:
    electrical inspection (there is NO electricity in the shed)

plumbing inspection (there is no plumbing going ion the shed)

sewer inspection (no sewer)

Licensed architect submitted plans

HVAC inspection ( no hvac unless I leave the door open!)

landscaping plan (none of that either)

erosion control plan

flood plain management plan (the nearest creek more then a foot wide is maybe two miles away)

historical significance records check

and a bunch of other BS items that the state wants.

I am surprised they did not ask about hazardous chemicals, nuclear waste management, endangered species reports, air pollution, Oh wait, they did ask about fireplaces being installed (none) and other such things like exhaust emissions control.

All this for a shed!

And to top it off, when you try to get the person in charge of issuing this building permit to check on something, you find out that he only works Monday thru Thursday and only three or four hours a day. By the way, when my wife did call, a couple of different times on the days and times that he is supposed to be working, guess what. He wasn't in!

Then you wonder why people might not want to build here and why they think there is way too much government BS and gross inefficiency and waste.

4. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

pyrdek

Where are you located?

5. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Don't forget the enviormental impact study and report also. LOL.

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I wish you people would state where you live so the rest of us could avoid the place.

I walked into city hall several times for permit for a fence, deck and a shed. Didn't need a permit for the fence and the only problem I had with one of the permits was the ink pen ran out of ink and I had to reach for another one.

7. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Pennsylvania

8. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

pyrdek,

I too live in PA - Montgomery Co.

To put in a shed (NOT a garage) - a shed or temporary structure cost about a C-note permit. They will drill you on set backs from property lines, but other than that there should be no issues.

WHich County/Township are you located in??

9. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I live in Texas, on 80 acres of land. If I want to build something, I build it. If I want to shoot something, I shoot it. If I need to take a leak, I take it. I feel bad for you folks that have all of these regulations, permits, etc. My Dad lives in San Mateo, Calif.. Hell, he can't even use an airgun to shoot squirrels in his back yard, without pissing someone off. He trapped a neighbors cat one time, and you would think he had shot the neighbor.

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    No permit needed here for sheds up to 120 sq ft and less than 10 ft tall, providing they are not within a fairly short distance of the property line (I forget the exact distance at the moment) but I think it is three feet.

Deviating from the above results in the boom being lowered for permits.

I've pulled permits for electrical, plumbing and mechanical (natural gas) and have actually had a pretty decent experience with the local inspectors. They were most helpful, not the typical experience one gets from government.

11. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Geez, It's over! When BIO the man who will not give quarter on gun rights says he had a decent experience getting a "permit"? WTF is going on??? What about property rights?

The frog hasn't notice that the water is about to boil him.

12. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

I live in Kalifornia and I caught my neighbors cat . It would use my yard for a toilet. Took it for a ride so far away it would need a GPS to find its way home.

13. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

Grunt,

If they are in YOUR yard they are YOUR cat, and you can trap your own cat!

Robert

14. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Update on Building permit

The problem I listed with the building permit and all the inspections and such listed, appears to be a employee, not in the Building Permit office, not being aware of the actual requirements. This township employee gave us information based on a permit for a entirely new construction (possibly even based on a commercial development?) and not the actual permit process for a shed.

We finally made contact with the person who is actually in charge of the BP office. Almost all of the info originally requested was NOT required. Once this matter was cleared up, the process went quite smoothly and quickly and was resolved with the permit being issued, and at a very reasonable cost, in just a few minutes.

Added info Crawford Co. Vernon

15. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

That has been the case more times than not, it is usually some idiot that causes the problems

I used to do a lot of work in Plano Tx, and they got worse and worse, the inspectors got a thrill out of red tagging stuff that was done right, so I just started buying all the code books they were citing in the plans, and got to know the inspectors boss real good, I would carry the books with me when ever there was an inspection and if they red tagged me I would whip out my phone with their bosses umber and tell them "Here tell that to your boss"

I always won, but damn I made some enemies out of the inspectors

As the old saying goes, those who can, do, those who can't do, teach, those who can't teach, inspect, and I swear it is the truth