1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to ger rid of yellow jackets near shooting sta

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rlmims, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rlmims

rlmims TS Member

We have a yellow jacket nest near a shooting stand next to an oak tree. I have tried several different things to no avail. First I tried smoke bombs, no good. Then I tried a propane torch, killed about 2 doz that tried to fly out, but next day dozs flying around hole. Last night tried to flood them out, pumped about 200 gal of water into hole, again flushed about 2 doz out and killed them. Tonight I am going to try a bug bomb, the kind you set off and they empty. Will these work laying on side instead of standing upright? If this doesn't work I am open to suggestions. Don't want to use gasoline because of the oak tree.

Thanks L.Mims

2. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

Try powdered Sevin!

Mike K

3. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

From the Univ of Kentucky School of Agriculture:

<I>"Yellowjackets

Yellowjackets are another dangerous wasp encountered around homes and buildings. Nests are often located underground in an old rodent burrow, beneath a landscape timber, or in a rock wall or wall of a building.If the nest can be located, it can usually be eliminated by carefully applying a wasp spray insecticide into the nest opening.

Sevin (tm), or Ficam (tm), dust is also very effective provided a handduster or similar type applicator is used to dispense several puffs of the insecticide dust in to the nest opening (an empty, dry liquid detergent bottle, filled no more than halfway with dust and shaken before dispensing works well).

Treatment should be performed late at night after all yellowjackets are in the nest and less active. It's best to pinpoint the nest opening during the daytime so you will remember where to direct your treatment after dark. Approach the nest slowly and do not shine the beam of the flashlight directly into the nest entrance as this may startle the wasps; instead, cast the beam to the side to illuminate the nest indirectly and place the light on the ground rather than in your hand. Similar to hornets, yellowjackets are extremely aggressive when the nest is disturbed. It may be prudent to call a professional pest control company, particularly when access to the nest is difficult."</I>

I have used a powder puffer and Sevin on yellow jackets under the flashing of my garage roof and it does work well. The trick is the disperse the powder into a cloud; dumping the stuff into the nest doesn't work.

Mike K

4. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

I have found out if you use gasoline,just a cupfull into the hole at night,do not light,just let it sit.The fumes will kill them off,and will not harm the tree.Had a nest at the bottom of a maple right next to the house,killed them dead,and the tree is still standing,doing fine. Ray

5. ctreay

ctreay Member

Wasp and Hornet spray will do it. Farm store or most rural hardware stores have it. We have a problem with hornets building nests in out traphouses. This stuff kills em rightnow dead. It sprays a stream about two ft long so you don't have to be right on top of them. Most elect linemen carry it around here.

ctreay

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Rent a Honey Badger.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4r7wHMg5Yjg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

See the Honey Badger vs Bees at 1 minute 16 seconds.

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have successfully used a squirt can of Wasp & Hornet killer at night after locating the nest in the daylight. I don't know the difference between a wasp and a hornet or a yellow jacket but I don't like any of em.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Yellowjacks and hornets are basically similar, though color variations differ. They are a subset of wasps, which can have body style differences too. Like mud dabbers have a skinny elongated waist.

The link explains what a wasp or hornet is. (Language warning.)

9. crusha

crusha TS Member

Brian,

Good job getting Indy Shotgun to narrate that for us...nice touch.

10. Animal

Animal Member

Yes, the bombs will kill the yellow jackets. I had bald faced hornets build a nest the size of a basket ball in my kindling box. I waited till after sun down and tossed in a bug bomb like a hand grenade and closed the lid. It worked and killed the hell out of them. Dave S

11. lostandout

lostandout Member

if you have power near by get a shop vac and put the hose by they hole and turn on and let run until you dont see any more coming out or flying when you have them in the vac spray some bee killer in the hose to kill the ones inside

brian

12. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If you leave them alone, a lot of times they will leave you alone.

13. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

I like the shop vac idea, but instead of spraying poison in the vac, simply take the vac to a Skeet Club and turn it on reverse!

14. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Lorsban

15. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Claymores... it's the only way....
    [​IMG]

Jerbear

16. jwells

jwells Member

use the sevin. puff the sevin on to the nest oand the entry hole if you can. or in the opening in the ground. next day they are dead

17. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Wasp & Hornet Spray That Sprays 20-30 FEET. Can Buy It At Wal-Mart. Great for Home defense Also!!! Joe W.

18. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I use " Raid " by S.C. Johnson & Co. This stuff really works great on Yellowjackets, ground hornets, Wasps, Bumble Bees, etc. It will spray a stream 10ft away or more if you need to spray under eaves or overhangs, etc. Costs about $4.00 for a 14oz can. Try it. You'll be happy with it. Walmart also has an excellent spray called "Real Kill". Larry Evans

19. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Non-toxic solution: Goldfish bowl. Like the classic size you see around with one Goldfish in it. Turn it upside down over the hole. Hopefully you can get a fairly good seal. They basically won't dig a new hole and will starve in a short amount of time. Few days. I've used this a lot with 100% sucess. I've also coated the inside of the bowl with hornet spray first but not needed. Dave T.

20. Habib

Habib Member

best way is to go out bout mid day and poke a stick down in the hole, that will get them all. don't waste any gas or sevin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

acupoffullsquirts

kill wasp propane torch