Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to free allen screw?

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Clay KillR 
#1 ·
I picked up a Cynergy unsingle and the small allen head srews that allow the rib to adjust at pivot point are so tight I can't get them to break. I'm starting to the think the former owner used lock tight?

Thanks for looking.

Shannon

#3 ·
If it's red loctite you'll need heat.

Heat gun, soldering iron, or drill and tap.

I've had success using a soldering iron, apply the tip directly to the Allen screw for several minutes till hot. One time I had to heat the socket head Allen wrench with a torch till red, applied it to the preheated screw and it broke free after 30 seconds with pressure applied.

Put it back together with blue Loctite

#6 ·
Hey Shannon;

I've loosened plenty of Loctite fastened screws over the years and for small
screws I use a Q-Tip swab soaked with acetone. I use the 6" long wooden shafted ones cause the plastic ones can melt up on you when using solvents
like Xylene and acetone. Just hold the acetone soaked swab against the point where the screw enters the metal for a few minutes, place an allen key in
and give it a straight down,firm tap on top of the key. Repeat this swab/tap
procedure one more time, then crack that puppy loose.

If the bugger moves but feels too tight still, just give it a bit more acetone
to break up the Loctite remaining in the threads.

Don't smoke while doing this though!

#7 ·
I have a Browning XT unsingle that had the same problem. It did not have loc tite on the screws but were very tight. I rounded off the screws with the allen wrench on my first attempt and had to use a Torx bit to break them loose. It felt like my elbow broke when they popped loose. They were just very tight. I replaced the screws with new ones from Browning and have not had any problem since. (they just DO NOT have to be that tight). You may just have to use a lot of force to get them out if they other suggestions do not work. Good luck with it. Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.