1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to forget shoulder pain

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by birdtracker, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

I had reconstructive surgery on my shoulder in December. Getting along fairly well with some pain flare ups. Then to make me forget about that pain, the good lord gave me my very first kidney stone! Isn't that such a treat. I thought they only gave you morphine when you were about to die! So now I have to ask all that have had them, whats the best prevention? Birdtracker

2. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

It'll depend on what type of stone you have. 80% of stones are Calcium Oxalate. Don't worry about the calcium part. You're body will rob your bones of calcium to make stones if your blood chemistry is such. Avoiding milk or ice cream will not help. It's the oxalate that gets you. The biggest sources of oxalate are anything with caffeine, nuts and leafy greens, with caffeine being the biggest problem, the stronger the worse off. Simply avoid it, and if you must drink caffeine, drink water afterwards to flush it out of your system as quick as you can. If you get that unmistakeable pain again, start drinking water, it may get better. When I get dehydrated at times I will get that pain. A quick bottle of water makes it better. I think I still have one or two small crystals squirrling around in me.
    I had a 2 part stone; calcium oxalate crystals growing on a small protein core. Eating less meat seem to cure the protein part, I used to be big into the protein diet. Since the crystals don't have a good media to grow on, I flush out the small crystals that do grow myself, with just a little pain and a lot of water.
    Drinking more water in general will help you out. Light beer works too... although everything in moderation!

3. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

I lay off nuts of any kind, wheat bran (which I used to heap on my cereal) tea and soft drinks. LOTS of water is a must. You can google for more information.

BB

4. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

The first stone I had removed surgicaly. The second stone I passed and it was different than the first. The last stone was removed by the crushing method. The doctors told me, "Some people are just stone makers and diet or anything else has little effect." I do know this, I have had broken bones,bad sprains, and othe forms of surgery and nothing hurts like the pain of a Kidney balooning up because the drain pipe is pluged with a stone. You just can not get away from the pain...................Roger

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

It's best to remember the Dupont Co. old philosophy (and motto):

"Better Living Through Chemistry"

Curt

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I've heard drinking lots of water helps and avoid milk. As for the reconstructive shoulder surgery to avoid that don't screw up your shoulder! I should take my own advise I've had 5 shoulder surgeries all to the same one

7. waterhouselake

waterhouselake TS Member

Birdtracker....here is a site that will tell you everything you'll need to know. They are a joy, aren't they????

8. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Short case history :
    This was before lithotripters

1970 : March - Removal of CO stome from left ureta
    April - Removal of left kidney ; complications with incision in ureta

Adised to mimimize dairy products and citrus ; lots of water

1980 Christmas Eve - Removal of CO stone right ureta ; complications
    Finally out of hospital late January

Prescribed by nephrologist : allopurinol 300 mg
    chlorthalidone (diuretic) 50 mg (now on lasik)
    minimize as before
    lots of water
    Nephrologists said that the stones were growing on uric-acid crystal ; allopurinol will mimimize/eliminate uric acid , diuretic will tend to flush/minimize allopurinol/uric acid "debis" out of blood stream hopefully eliminating stone formation/growth .

So far ; so good
    Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.