1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to Fool a Gun Thief!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JBrooks, Aug 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

In April The Bomber and I got to fly down to San Antonio to shoot a couple of days at the Southwest Grand. We packed both our guns in a real strong Pelican two gun case for the airplane ride. However, I thought a little extra protection from theft would be a good idea so I asked my graphics designer to come up with a warning label that might make a thief think twice before stealing our case.

When some of our friends saw the labels they thought they were really true and asked where I bought the "GPS system". They thought it was pretty funny when I told them the "system" was just the labels but then they asked if I could make some extra copies for them. So, we thought what the heck, we would put a page on our Gun Safe Magnets website and make them available to everyone.

Now while you should definitely have your guns properly insured, for a few bucks you just may scare off a thief and save yourself a lot of trouble. I think they would work for laptops, briefcases and even plain old luggage, etc. Take a look.

2. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Except now your secret is out....

3. C H S

C H S TS Member

So now you have me wondering just how good an idea it was to use a public forum to publish the fact that the GPS warnings are fake??

Andy

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I don't know Andy... How many gun thiefs read TS.com?

5. C H S

C H S TS Member

<I>"I don't know Andy... How many gun thiefs read TS.com?"</I>

I don't know...do you?

Or do you know how many thieves, or friends of thieves, might be listening to the booze talking after an afternoon of shooting?

Andy

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My doctor for years was an old time country doctor, made house calls, etc.

He built a new building for his practice. Had someone install a few small shower heads sticking out of the ceiling, and put up engraved signs that said "Protected By Poison Gas".

Never had a problem.

HM

7. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Good story HM. We had a vacation home in a fairly remote area. We put up a phony sign that said "This Property Protected by a Video Recording System". Other local vacation homes were burglarized but ours never was. Why? Thieves will always go after the lowest risk target.

Like if my case with the sticker is sitting next to DevIl'sAdvoCatE's case without a sticker, which one do you think a thief would take?

8. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Both, your's identifies the case as having something of value inside. Haven't you seen enough movies to know that the person being tracked always removes the tracking device and attach's it to something else headed in the other direction. Enough of the bad guys believe it can be done, and are willing to risk trying it.

9. shadow

shadow Active Member

"Case contains poisonous spiders" should do the trick.

10. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

It's time to open a business that does what you've spoofed.

11. mirage1

mirage1 Member

JBrooks,
    I was wondering if you experienced any problems going through airport
    security with those decals on your cases.
    Joe

12. JLW

JLW TS Member

A cop friend suggested buying an old music case (trombone) and painting on the side, "Stosh and the Polka Tones".

But, if the airline tags it with the red gun tag, you are out of luck. Maybe just ship it ahead? An outfitter in Aspen told me that a lot of guns ae damaged there by employee anti's.-Jerald

13. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Do they come in Spanish ? Jeff

14. C H S

C H S TS Member

You guys have some creative ideas, but I don't think anybody who steals for a living is going to fail to recognize a gun case even with some goofy stickers pasted on it.

Andy

15. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

WARNING, exploding gun stock. loaded with red, white and blue die.

16. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Get a hospital "bio hazzard" sticker and nobody will want it. Just kidding.

17. nicky

nicky Member

people listen to this; at your local gun club have you ever had a new shooter show up interested in the sport of trap shooting. after weeks, months maybe a year or two of shooting and becoming friends with the locals learning where they live what they shoot what hours they work ect.,ect.,ect. then one day that person stops shooting, not showing up at the club. no one really even notice's
    so and so hasn't been around. then one day you go home to find you have been robbed. what happens is a professional thief will put you and all the info. about you into a rolling file. after say, 2, 3 maybe 5 years your file gets pulled and bingo your it. long after anyone at the club would remember who the person was or what the person looked like or why would you even suspect a fellow shooter. not saying to be paranoid but, have a sense of awareness of people that you expose yourself to. we all know most people are worth trusting and most of our clubs are small local clubs where we do know everyone. and i know this isn't what jbrooks was talking about but just trying to address the thief's we all know are out there. stay safe and shoot well, kevin

18. C H S

C H S TS Member

<I>"When I moved, I took the Brinks and ADT signs with me. Subsequent homes have not had an alarm, but the sign in the bushes doesn't hurt any."</I>

Alarm systems that use the phone lines only keep out stupid crooks; the smart ones just carry a wire cutter for the phone line...I found that out! Don't get too confident with your scary signs.

Andy

19. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Joe,

No problems at all going through Southwest or the TSA check.

BTW, thanks for all the orders guys. I guess a lot of you figure for a few bucks it is better to have the stickers than not.

We just put these up for the fun of it and to make it easy for other people to get a little more protection for their stuff. I do like the "urine" sticker, though with the shape of a gun case people must think it was a pretty long pee!

20. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.