Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HOW TO FIX MY EYES??

3K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Texshooter 
#1 ·
On my last 2 trips to the range my eyes have been playing tricks on me, when I mount my gun check my beads and hold over the house I do it with my left eye closed, then I open both eyes and call for the bird.. now for some reason when I open both eyes i'm looking at the left side of my barrel/rib.. I cannot hit a bird flying to the left.. straight away, or to the right.. no problem.. I shot a whole round on station 1 today, I think I chipped two that went to the left, both were hit on the very front leading edge.. I have tried the magic tape on my left lens but to no avail.. the only 2 things that have changed is I have a new pair of RE non prescription glasses ( I dont wear glasses) and I have been using the TJ wall chart daily..any thoughts? thanks!

#2 ·
Your left eye may be dominant....either stop closing your eyes at the mount, or shoot left handed.....but stop looking at the barrels entirely. If your gun fits, there is no reason to ever look at the barrels.....the game is out there, flyin' thru the air.....look only at that always.

#3 ·
happened to me a couple of months ago, used the sight blinder, worked for awhile, finally went to eye doctor, now wearing glasses, first time was in the clay target championship at the grand last wed. it was different, seem to be getting accustomed to them now, amazing what i wasn't seeing. my left eye was "better" than my right, and i am right handed.. good luck mark crist

#4 ·
happened to me a couple of months ago, used the sight blinder, worked for awhile, finally went to eye doctor, now wearing glasses, first time was in the clay target championship at the grand last wed. it was different, seem to be getting accustomed to them now, amazing what i wasn't seeing. my left eye was "better" than my right, and i am right handed.. good luck mark crist

#7 ·
Try mounting with a higher gun hold so you are forced to look through the gun to the trap (above level). Jerry Philips holds very high, then bounces gun down as he calls for target. His barrel is moving as the target appears and he moves to it. This takes up slack, has barrel moving, and has eyes out from gun. I suspect he developed this years ago for your reasons. I also have watched him smoke 100 from the 27 in the wind.

JT

#8 ·
I made the device shown in the pics from a fast food soft drink cup lid. I had decided I needed more cast off. As with lots of things in life, more vs. less equals about a 50/50 chance. The middle pic shows where I was actually looking through my right lens with the added cast off. I needed less, not more.

With gun unloaded and mounted, a helper can position the hole over your glasses to make sure you are not slanting and tilting your eyes too much. If your vision looks like the middle pic, and the bird goes left and you use eyes first before the hands move (per Kiner's DVD, if I recall correctly), your right eye might be blocked out by the nose piece.

When the bird goes right of your hold point, the eyes might rotate right and you get the better vision out of your right eye.

Take my rantings with a grain of salt. However, I don't see how anyone could shoot well with the middle setup.

Rollin and others, be kind.

Danny

#11 ·
Go and see an eye doctor and it will take care of your needs, I did and it took care of my eye dominance problems. You can use all the things that people recommend and it still won't work, but an eye examine and proper glasses will solve your problem in most cases.

#13 ·
Get your eyes checked! I did this, this year. You will be amazed at what your eyes are at right now compared to corrective lenses. You really will see this once the optician goes through the procedure, then while looking through the optical devise switches from your regular vision to the corrected vision. I thought I could see fine, but my scores had been coming down over the last year. Your dominant eye vision could actually degrade faster than your non-dominant eye. When you look with both eyes open, the eye that focuses the quickest or best then takes over as the dominant eye. Jon

#14 ·
Happened to me too. I developed a cataract first in my right eye. My left eye suddenly became my dominant eye. I figured it out after pulling out in front of a couple of cars at intersections, boy was that fun! I have shot right handed with both eyes open for several years (including shootoff for GAH I got 5th).
I bring gun up and check the beads, then look away at house and never check sights again. Good luck. I may have cataract surgery this fall. I know I shoot different than Phil wants, but I need to use the clear eye and I don't want to change to left handed shooting. I did have my eye Doc weaken my left lens in my everyday glasses and it helped keep my right eye dominate for a while. AJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.