Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How To Fix Cracked Stock??

3K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Pull & Mark 
#1 ·
I had a stock repaired on my old marlin 22. took it to the best furniture repair man in our area. If i didnt know where the butt corner broke off. I would miss it with out a really close look. they are a good option if a good gun wood guy is tough to find. I have had a lot of luck repairing things with epoxy and JB weld. If looks are not to important.

#2 ·
I usually cut a groove across the crack in several places and epoxy in a small threaded piece of brass. Or, if you have the clearance, you can add a piece of fiber glass cloth across the crack. Make certain to spead the crack and work some epoxie into it.

A bit of vinegar on a rag usually will clean up the mess.-Jerald

#3 ·
On the inside of the forearm, I cut a V groove along the crack about 25% of the depth of the wood. Then I cut a few V grooves at a right angle to the crack. Checkering files will quickly cut these grooves. Fill these groves with a good two part epoxy. Spread the wood a little so the epoxy runs into the crack and just barely appears on the finished surface. Clean up the epoxy that has appeared on the finished surface and then firmly hold the crack together for about 5 minutes or until the epoxy is hard. Test the hardness of the epoxy by testing the remaining epoxy you mixed but did not use. When the epoxy is hard, carefully lay the wood down and wait one day. If done properly, the repaired crack will be stronger than the wood was before it cracked.

Pat Ireland

PS- Gordy, I seem to have a crack in my skull and part of my brain has come out. Can you fix this crack for me so nobody could tell that it ever happened?

#5 ·
You will have to make sure it is clean of all grease and oil. You can buy cem to get oil out and grease. One way that I have found that works well but you better ask your wife first. You turn the oven on BROIL and keep the door open and while holding the stock stick it in till you see the oil and or grease bubble. You pull it out and wipe it off and keep doing that till you don't have any bubbles left. An old gunsmith told me that trick.

#10 ·
HotStuff is the brand name of a thin cyanoacrylate, mostly sold in hobby shops, but I don't believe it's any better than "SuperGlue" or any of the other brands available. The thin CA dries almost very quickly. An accellerant like carbon tech will "touch it off" immediately, as will the application of baking bowder.
This is the best and fastest way to fix the cracked forend. If you use the thin CA you can simply drip some into the crack. You don't even need to spread the wood apart as it spreads through the wood by capillary action. If you do spread the crack apart slightly you can use either the thin CA or a thicker slower drying CA. Either way the repair takes only a few seconds, and the repaired crack becomes stronger than the wood around it.

#11 ·
TC, I have used (FASCO fas-stick epoxy glue) with great results. It is a slow drying epoxy that will allow you time to align wood properly and clean-up the glue that will seep out with some mineral sprits. Put a sqeeze type clamp on overnight and your good to go. You have to get glue on both sides all the way down the crack, if you don't you will need to groove the inside as Pat has outlined above. Try buying at a professional retail store. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.