1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

how to fine tune shot bushing for pw

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cle, Oct 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cle

cle Member

Try finger nail polish or epoxy adhesive

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

A careful smear of J-B Weld Epoxy on the inside of the bushing can be carefully filed to get to the proper cavity size.

MK

3. wm rike

wm rike Member

Check the line of Hornady bushings to see if they are incrementally smaller or larger than the PWs.

4. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"i have tried with heating vent tape and that works fine but sometimes pellets stick to it"</I></blockquote>Have you tried real aluminum foil HVAC tape? It's actually soft aluminum with an adhesive on it and it sticks very well. D-I-Y centers like Lowe's carry it. I use it in powder bushings and if powder doesn't stick to it, lead certainly won't.

<blockquote><I>"Check the line of Hornady bushings to see if they are incrementally smaller or larger than the PWs."</I></blockquote>Hornady powder come in increments; the shot bushings are the same size as P-W's. The OP wants a smaller shot bushing.

MK

5. kansas pete

kansas pete TS Member

If you have got a good backyard machinist around, I'm sure they will make you one.

6. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Have you weighed the actual shot charge out of the 7/8 bushing? Most will drop light anyway.

Buz

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I do not like tape to reduce a bushing. It is possible for some of the shot/powder to find a way behind the tape at the top of the bushing. The top of the bushing slides past the hopper many times and this can work a little flap of the tape over the bushing hole. This will result in a very light drop. It happened to me. I now use purple fingernail polish. I did not select the color, my wife did.

Pat Ireland

8. Highrise

Highrise TS Member

DO NOT use tape in a bushing,,,, just asking for trouble down the road.
    Been loading on PW's for 25 years and have found the best adjustments downward is with Nail Polish as said earlier.

9. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I've used an undersized bushing and then reamed it out until it throws the correct charge....

10. Unknown1

Aluminum foil HVAC tape is not your garden variety tape. I've never replaced a piece of HVAC foil tape because I had to. I've only replaced to fine-tune for a new batch of powder. And when I do, I have to use a pointed X'acto knife to get under the tape and pry it off the bushing. I have bushings that I use constantly that have had the same piece of aluminum foil tape in them for YEARS and 10s of thousands of drops and the tape is still in place and still tight.

If that isn't far enough "down the road", I'm not gonna live long enough to get there.

MK

11. deuce

deuce Member

The P/W website lists shot bushings available in sizes 1 (1/2 oz) thru size 14 (2 1/2 oz) so why not take a smaller size and open it up to the size you want?

Jim

12. Unknown1

7/8 oz. is 24.8 grams. 1 wrap of aluminum tape inside a 7/8 oz bushing should do it. The problem with opening up a smaller bushing is that you can't put it back once you remove it, and steel bushings are a lot tougher to work with than aluminum powder bushings.

MK

13. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

lovethesport if I were in your shoes I would first weigh the charge you are now getting if it is anywhere near 370 Grains I would move on as 24 Grams is 370 Grains.

Bob Lawless

14. Basicdesignmachine

Basicdesignmachine TS Member

In the past I've machine my own shot bushing to get the correct weight. only to find when I switched shot brands the charge weight also changed. Lou

15. Unknown1

The OP didn't sat whether he was going to use these shells in sanctioned competition. In competitions 370.37 grains is 24 grams; 370.4 grains is illegal. The drop can be lighter than 24 but it can't be a tick over.

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.