1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to find out the build date of a 870?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I picked up a 870 Special with a 24 inch VR fixed choke imp cyl and straight stock in like new condition and wondered what the build date might be. Serial is W159782M. The barrel is ported and according to the guy I bought it from it is factory porting(?). I had never seen a barrel ported like that and wondered about it. Thanks for your response. Jackie B.

I did find the letters DE on the barrel but it doesn't appear to cross reference at the Remington site.

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

It would be a second run the first run had 21 inch barrels . Never seen one ported all were made for hunting . Just a guess but around 1990

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Thanks Alf. I had been told that it had a 24 inch barrel but just checked it and it has a 21 inch barrel. I purchased several guns from a guy that was cleaning out his safe and didn't take time to measure the barrels as I was so happy about the prices. They might not be such a deal to folks who know the true values. Jackie B.

4. 3on8

3on8 Member

Call Remington, they will tell you.

5. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Do a search with the Remington Society on the web they have a chart to look it up.

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I bought 5-6 21" barrels for the 1100's back in the early 80's for our trapshooting/pheasant hunting gan.

I used to be a certified Remington and Browning warranth station. I have never heard of any factory ported barrels. Have been an FFL dor over 35 years and, in fact, my mom's second husband had brothers on the BOD of DuPont who owned Remington. I used to get quite a bit of free stuff from them, so I have been aware of much of what they did. I quit doing the Remington stuff because of the junk I would get it to fix under "warranty." I seriously doubt ANY of their barrels were ported.

I could be wrong, and would like to know.

WW

7. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

WW

I don't know about Remington porting 870 barrels. I do have a couple of work orders from Remington's custom gun shop for a 3200 with extra sets of barrels, ported from the factory, when the gun was ordered.

The dealer I bought the set from told me he thought Remington had just installed their porting equipment just before the gun was built.

8. 3on8

3on8 Member

hmmm... I have never seen any 3200 ported from the factory. 3200 barrels are thin and it is never a good idea to do it to them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.