1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to FILL factory "engravings" on receiver?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I'm stripping a Remington 1100 receiver, starting with Naval Jelly, and probably ending with a re-blue job. I want to make sure to clean out all the scroll work (factory "engravings").

The goal is to fill the factory "engravings" with a contrasting material.

First, would it be best to fill the lines before doing the re-bluing, or after the receiver is refinished?

Second, can someone direct me to instructions for HOW to apply coloring into the grooves? I've tried using various paints and wiping, but the the lines are so shallow that the filling always wipes away.

Thanks for any and all tips.

Happy New Year.

Larry Frieders

2. BD457

BD457 Member

How to FILL factory

Brownells has a nice gold inlay product that I've used in the past and it works very well. I did a handgun about 20 years ago and it still looks perfect.

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

How to FILL factory

I would think that a rubber squeegie would work better than a rag. Once the filler is set up enough, then maybe a cleaning could be done of the excess, on the receiver. This would have to be done after the re-bluing. Just a thought. Jon

4. primed

primed Well-Known Member

How to FILL factory

Is there enough in the Brownells bottle to add a little matching bling to a front tooth or two?

Just curious.

5. BD457

BD457 Member

How to FILL factory

tastes kinda funny, but go ahead and give it a shot.

6. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

How to FILL factory

That stuff lasts forever!

7. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

How to FILL factory

RE-BLUE 1100?????????????????

Larry...say it aint soooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

8. GrandpasArms

How to FILL factory

No, Joe, not the ones I got from you. They're perfect.

I picked up another used 1100 receiver that I want to build into a finished gun. I have an extra release trigger assembly from another deal and a total of four barrels. The used receiver has some rust. If cleaning removes blue I want to repair and maybe fill in the engraving.

Larry

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

How to FILL factory

Dick ... if it is ... there is enough to do about 5 guns.

10. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

How to FILL factory

I won a gold inlay kit at a pistol shooting event about 20 years ago. I followed the instructions and did exactly to my 1100 as you are proposing and it worked really well. I do not have it anymore to know what brand it was, but it was fairly easy to do.

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    How to FILL factory

Reblue everything, THEN doll it up.

12. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

How to FILL factory

Does this stuff work on triggers?

13. BD457

BD457 Member

How to FILL factory

I don't think it'll work on a trigger, and if it did, I don't think it would turn out as nice as a plated or new trigger. I'd use it for its intended purpose which is inlay. The only problem with it is that the solvent it comes with does not keep. If you plan on only doing one gun and saving the rest for a later date, it better be sooner than later. Even in the glass bottle, it's completely gone after a few months. There's enough in the bottle to do about 5 hand guns. I've never tried a lot of inlay like an old 682x, but I'm pretty sure there's enough for one long gun like your 1100. Be sure to post before and after pictures.

Mike

14. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

How to FILL factory

I would go easy on the Naval Jelly....my gunsmith pal who rents part of my shop told me he blued a rifle receiver lately that the owner had stripped the bluing off with Naval jelly and had a devil of a time bluing it. he attributed it to Naval Jelly. And I know from experience that Chris is a master at bluing so I take him at his word. Look on Brownell's for something else to talk to one of the bluing shops mentioned on this site for guidance on what to use.

Ron Burr

15. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

How to FILL factory

If you use navel jelly, grab your garden hose and drag everything to the middle of a field. That way you will not drip or accidently touch something you do not want the bluing to be removed. Many nice guns have gotten messed up when someone was using the jell to remove a little rust on their gun.

FYI...mixing muratic acid 50/50 with water will give you better results. Do this outside because the fumes are nasty and will also rust everything within the room.

16. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

How to FILL factory

Don't remember the product name but i do belive Birchwood Casey sells a bluing remover taht is used in conjunction with their cold bluing products. i belive i would use something like that. Brownells would also have a bluing remover product.

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

How to FILL factory

Bonanza Gold, available at Brownells and other fine places ... Google it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. GrandpasArms

How to FILL factory

I bought Bonanza Gold from the manufacturer, Forster Products, Inc., 310 East Lanark Avenue, Lanark, IL 61046. It is the same thing that Brownells sells. Brownells charges $13.99 and $14.95 for shipping. Forster Products charges $16.00 and $4.70 for shipping (tax in Illinois as well).

I'l be posting some before/after shots.

Larry Frieders

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.