1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

how to fabricate recoil pad jig

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ernesto1, Jun 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ernesto1

Ernesto1 Member

Hi all. Have a separate thread for WTB B&R recoil pad jig.

Would prefer to purchase but being they are discontinued has anyone fabricated one using the B&R as a guide? If so, could you provide details as to what materials are used, etc? Pictures would be a blessing

I'm reasonably sure that with this item being discontinued by the manufacturer, patent infringement is remote..

Thanks, Darryl

2. high 2

high 2 Member

There are others that work just as well. I have 2 of the B&R's and most all of the others, and prefer the others. Larry

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

High 2. Show and tell which one you like.

I take a old pad with a comparable toe angle, tape them together allowing me to run up to the score line and get close. Then finish it by ETE (Eye-Trial-Error)

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

To replicate the B&R, you'd need a mill and a welder (or some way to solder/braze) to start with, and probably a lathe. If you have those items (you could get away w/ out the lathe if you had to), then its not complicated. If you don't have those items, its impossible.

5. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

Are you sure they are discontinued, the web site has then on backorder. They were on backorder back in December and I finally got my last month. I love mine and it works great for me. Joe

6. high 2

high 2 Member

Each one has it's place for me. To grind out a bump buster or gracoil I like the Gracoil fixture. The B-Square is a little faster because of the stop on the bottom. That lets you move from heel to toe with the angle pre set. The B&R is probably best for me to grind pads. Larry
    high2_2008_211091.jpg

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Darryl:

Save your time. I owned a metal fabrication shop for years but still wouldn't waste time building a fixture when Midway USA sells the Graco one for $55. It's well-built and ready-to go. All you might need is a couple longer machine screws than what they provide if you need to grind a really thick pad.

-Gary

8. skeet_man

The problem w/ anything but the B&R shows up when you try to grind any pad but a perfectly flat one. Then it can be hard to attached the pad to the jig strong enough so it doesn't move around, but not so strong that it bulges out the rubber and distorts the shape of the pad.

9. high 2

high 2 Member

That`s the problem I`ve always had. I know there are some who can grind a pad useing one of the others, but I prefer the B&R too for pads. Larry

10. Ernesto1

Ernesto1 Member

Thanks for all the input. I have a Miles Gilbert pad jig and find it unstable when using with my 12" disc sander. I had used a B&R a few years ago that belonged to a friend and found it the easiest to use with the sander.

I'll take the advice of 12shot two and call Brownell's and see if they are on back-order. Again, anyone has one for sale please let me know.

Darryl

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

FYI, the Graco one has a wider base and is plenty stable for me when used with a 12" disc sander. Even so, if you were nervous about that you could easily screw a short board beneath it to provide a broader platform (although you'd need to rotate it 180 degrees to do the opposite side).

-Gary

12. Ernesto1

Ernesto1 Member

GW22 thanks for the tip. I can probably modify my Miles Gilbert like the Graco.

I called Brownells and they will have availability of the B&R in one month. They are taking backorders.

Thanks again to all and good shooting!

Darryl

13. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Here is mine. It is a little different. The spacers on the long screws allow me to mount the pad with the stock side up so that you can see the scribed line as you grind.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. high 2

high 2 Member

Looks like a great made tool, Jim. If you guys have a belt sander I find the Graco and Mile Gibert are more stable on them than the disc sander. Both will work. I think a disc is all that Ken Rucker uses, and He`s been known to do a pretty good job. Ken, if you read this, how`d the state shoot go? Hope you are doing well. I got a Hasty Bake for fathers day and I`m trying to perfect a beef loin before the world this year. You and your better half are invited to a cook out this year. Larry

15. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Thanks for the invite, Larry! We'll be there! Just before the SW Grand, I bought a new Grizzly 2x72 belt sander and am using it for everything. I use the Graco jig for all my aluminum parts and the B&R for pads. It works like a charm! The State Skeet Shoot was good for me. I worked non-stop for 4 days.........of course, I work non-stop pretty much every day! LOL!

Ken

16. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I made this bottom to be adjustable for hole spacing, the dovetailed nuts will adjust out to 3.5 inches.
    toolmaker251_2008_0303272.jpg

toolmaker251_2008_0303273.jpg

17. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I have ground on both 12" disc and 6" vertical belt sanders. I find the 6" vertical easier because it applies a constant equal force across the work surface. I always feel like the disc is trying to grab and hurl the work or pull it off to the side.

18. skeet_man

My experience is exactly the same as wireguys.

19. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I bolt the pad on underneath the bracket upside down so I can see the scribed line. I do one side and then turn it around for the other side. I have used it to grind a RAD also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

fabricate a recoil pad

graco recoil pad fixture vs miles gilbert

mills and gillbert recoil pad jig

recoil pad grinding tool