1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to explain the benefit of a high rib

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by open choke, Oct 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. open choke

open choke TS Member

I'm trying to explain the benefit of a higher rib to a friend of mine but I know the outcome of why it works but I don't know how to explain it fully.

I put an "add a rib" on my O/U; that with adding an equal amount to the comb height makes the head straighter; which also helps to not lift the head off of the comb; also I was told it makes you see the target faster. The first 2 are pretty easy to rationalize.

I asked the same question and I was briefly explained this but I forgot the whole answer; this is where I need some info......

If you have a higher rib and now you have to wait for the target to go a little more out of the trap house (in order to see it clear your gun to find it's path); how does this make you see the target faster?

2. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

the time that you would have to wait for the target would be miniscule if anything. I am not looking at anything below the bead, regardless of rib height. I like a higher rib because of less heat distortion, the rib being higher from the barrel. Bill Wheeler

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Ditto on what Slayer said... for heat dissapation (sic?)

If you're waiting longer to see the bird clear the rib, can I assume you're a one-eyed shooter?! Maybe moving the hold point (lower/sideways) could compensate for the larger obstacle (rib)...

Jay

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

My personal belief is that by putting you in a more heads up position your eyes are more "centered" in their orbits so the effort to focus on and track the target is much less and more natural for the eye. Look at a moving object and follow it with the head up and then try the same thing with the head tilted forward it is amazing how much more effort is required to focus and track that way. I shoot with some folks who are so far down and into their mount that I swear they must have to shave their eyebrows to see the bird. Hard enough in its self but now add in prescription lenses to the mix and you have a real challenge.

--- Chip King ---

5. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Trap shooter

6. wm rike

wm rike Member

I can buy into a lot of the arguments for a high rib, but it's a matter of what works for you.

Mike makes a good point. If you see pics or clips of the top international shooters, you might think that the whole lot of them have a genetic predisposition for stock crawling. But, boy, they get the job done! They want their hands and barrels out in front of their eyes, not below.

7. wm rike

wm rike Member

I can buy into a lot of the arguments for a high rib, but it's a matter of what works for you.

Mike makes a good point. If you see pics or clips of the top international shooters, you might think that the whole lot of them have a genetic predisposition for stock crawling. But, boy, they get the job done! They want their hands and barrels out in front of their eyes, not below.

8. wm rike

wm rike Member

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

In some opinions it looks cool.....

Most of the high rib shooters I've seen don't make a good case for it....

Curt

10. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

"In some opinions it looks cool"

Absolutely spot on - I know two in my small group who spend more time "posing" with their high $$$ high rib guns than they do shooting. My BT99 outshoots all of them.

rm

11. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

It was over 27 years ago that I was ready to buy a new TMX with the high rib but a phone call to a well known P gun dealer in PA warned me about shooting off the end of the barrel instead of the rib especially in bad light. Like the picture shown above, the videos of the top Bunker shooters at the recent world championships show the head forward gun mount. I don't believe the Bunker shooters have the time to waste on any attempt to float the target like we can get away with in ATA Trap. They must have perfect gun fit so they can make an instinctive move to the bird without any delay at all. I did buy a used TMX a few years later but I have to admit that a conventional rib gun is more intuitive to point and less likely to result in crossfiring. You can keep your head more upright when you have considerable drop at the heel of the stock to go along with the high rib but I think you need an Unsingle to avoid the 'kick up' effect you get with an exaggerated drop at the heel with a Top Single.

12. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

I think for me Chip got it right. I have modified my gun with a high rib to accommodate my overly long neck. I noticed I could hardly see out from under my eyebrows. Lots easier to see now. In the end, if the bird breaks keep doing it that way.

d

13. butcher

butcher Member

The high rib might help you to see the target clearer as it takes longer to clear the rib, but there is no way possible that it helps you to see the target faster. As stated before the good benefits are that you can hold your head more erect and that helps lifting your head, dissipates heat waves and gives you status whether you know why or not. An older trapshooter told me he preferred lower ribs to higher ones. The more I think of it I'm inclining to agree with him as your sighting pictures are the same but your eye is closer to the axis of the barrel with the lower rib and I think helps you to better point and hit the target. One other thing the Browning Broadway with the low wide rib was supposed to help you see the target faster too. How can it be both ways?

14. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

A good percentage of trap shooters are older. I can't bend over & crawl the rib. A high rib, lets me shoot with a heads up position. Also, my eyes are square to the rib. With a high rib I don't need a longer LOP. Combined with a roll over comb I get zero recoil, zero face slap, total comfort.

Phil Berkowitz

15. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

When many people see a unsingle they think they are seeing a high rib, not necessarily so.

I shoot American Trap.

I could give a sh!t less what Herman Sissypants used to win the World Fitsack championsip with or what Joe Pinkbottom used to win the World Spurting Clays championship with.

At my game, American Trap, I see a lot of top shooters with what some would call high ribs. That doesn't mean they will work for me but it does mean they work for some damn fine shooters. If you go to any fairly large ATA or American Trap event you can find a friendly dealer who will gladly let you take a high rib shotgun to the practice range and find out for yourself. I highly recommend that over taking someones opinion as gospel.

16. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

High rib, low rib, or anywhere in between. It's the stock to rib relationship that determines upright head. You can shoot a low rib with an upright head if YOU MAKE THE STOCK FIT YOU. Marc

17. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

What Marc said, just watch Bonillas shoot his MX-3.

18. chipking

chipking TS Member

I remember when the DB-81 was that radical high rib gun with that almost 3/4" high rib but it still only patterned about 4" high. Still one of the finest American Trap Doubles guns going when stocked to fit.

Since we are doing pics of international shooters how about these 2.

chipking_2008_030388.jpg

Skeet with a SxS no less

chipking_2008_030389.jpg

Trap

--- Chip King ---

19. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

the next thing you know it will be okay to mount it in a tripod

20. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

as far as the high rib benefit theres only one,neck aches or no neck aches,which is more comfortable to you and is to your advantage?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
advantages high rib trap gun

benefits of a high rib shotgun

benefits of comb heigth on a shotgun
benefits of higher rib on ahotgun
benifits of a high rib shotgun
high rib benefits

high rib shotgun

what is a high rib on trap guns