1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to enhance our trap program

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by happyshooter, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. happyshooter

happyshooter Member

I am seaking advice on how to enhance & build a better trap program at our club.
    Pitcairn-Monroville Sportsmens Club is located in south western Pa. We have in
    excess of 2000 members including spouse & junior. Club is located on appx.125 acres of ground , we have 8 traps fields ( well 6 working)3 of which are lighted ,1 lighted skeet field , indoor pistol range , 14 outdoor pistol bays, 50/100/200/300 yard rifle,indoor & outdoor archery ranges, club house with kitchen. Dues are only $60.00 per year, a round of trap/skeet is only $3.00 Members have access to all parts of the club 365 days a year 9am -9 pm. Members can get a key to the trap & skeet fields to shoot any time they please. There are even shotguns avalable to members who do not have one ,but would like to try trap/skeet. With all we have to offer our Monday league (3 clubs) has less than 10 shooters , Tuesday(4 club) league has 11 trap shooters , both are traveling leagues with other local clubs. but our club makes up less than 15% of the total shooters in each league. Saturday trap practice is also open to the public,but we seem to only attract the same 4-8 shooters each week. Attracting new members to our club does not seem to be a problem, however attracting new members to our trap field is the problem.

Thank you Rick Singer

2. atanra

atanra Member

Wish I lived close by. Why do only six fields work? What type of machines do you have? Some times you have to take a chance and advertise.

3. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Quality, friendly, free instruction.

Good prizes for leagues.

Promos like win five bucks when you hit a green target, then load a few that come up once in a while. This is on practive rounds.

Avoid "cliques" of guys who don't include everyone who comes out.

Make sure the target is breakable - maybe even on the easy side for a while.

4. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

Keep if fun keep it interesting wish you were nearby Do little thIngsto promote sportsmanship

5. happyshooter

happyshooter Member

Atanra Thanks for your reply - The machines are Pat traps , only 6 traps work because of a drainage problem in 1 of the trap houses & 1 Pat trap was removed for use on building a 5 stand course No real reason to repair the drainage problem at this time because we only use 4 of the 6 working traps as of now for league & pratice. Our equimpment & facilities are as good if not better than most of the other area clubs.

mallard2 The green bird was one of our thoughts ( not a cash prize but a free round) AS for being friendly I only started to shoot trap here last fall & when I started I got the feeling that I was welcome right from the start,and recieved help & advice from other shooters as well. We welcome any one who has intrest in trap to join us.

Rick Singer

6. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

There is no substitute for a well run shoot. Set good quality targets and run the program as smooth as possible and perhaps some trophy shoots to draw a crowd. Shooters talk and will help you with word of mouth if you make a good impression. Keeping the machines clean and maintained is very important to keep them from throwing junk. Another suggestion is dependent on what type of shooters you have in the area but a little club up in Wisconsin throws doubles marathons four times a year. They call them Iron Man doubles and throw 1000 of them. They built a good reputation by throwing quality targets and if you shoot the marathon you get an iron man doubles hat. They have been buying cheaper targets now and their attendance is beginning to drop off because of it i hear but used to have more than two full squads show up to shoot the 1000. That's over 8000 targets thrown in a small event. I would suggest having some hats and shirts made up and give them away if they complete the marathon. Have someone on hand to top the trap off in when the shooters are getting more shells to keep the action moving. Too bad you're not close to me, I would love to come to your club. Oh and don't forget about getting some good food there for lunch.

7. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Our club is open Thurs night and Sunday afternoons. I started going to another nearby club on Tues night and Sat mornings. Pretty soon one of their officers is at our club working out a reciprocal arrangement where we can shoot at both places for about the same price. This has worked out well for both clubs.

Then we started some ATA events (3 per year) and got the word out and had some shooters from the other club come and shoot. They can get a couple hundred targets in for a reasonable price and not spend all day doing it. This is perfect for AIM shooters.

I wish I lived near your club. I'd be over there checking it out. I'll bet there are plenty of other shooters that do live nearby that would check you out too. Be willing to listen to their ideas. This other club had a web page where you could put in suggestions for improvement. I suggested their bathrooms smelled and they cleaned them up. These guys are not afraid to make changes. I think their lights need tuning and would like to see them go to a full orange target...The trap help is friendly and they'll run me a tab so I can write one check at the end of the night. These guys are always trying to improve with new vending machines, better A/C, new driveway, etc.

My summer schedule is a dream: Tues night, Thursday night, Sat AM and Sunday afternoon.

Smoke 'em.

8. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

Keep the price of a round affordable. Dont think you have to get rich thowing targets. Maybe have a couples night or a couples league. Thrown in some free burgers or brawts once in awhile. Oh yea KEEP THE PRICE AFFORDABLE.

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

A club in Michigan gets by with 6 fields shooting registered. 25-25-50, we call it the "Birmingham 100"

10. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the clay target sports keeping getting more and more expensive, and there's not much that can be done about it, and we're only seeing the tip of the iceberg. When you sit down and realize that 4 rounds of skeet trap practice (which will keep you entertained for about an hour) is going to run you around $40 b/w shells, targets, gas, lunch, you quickly start looking for other outlets to spend your disposable income on that will get you more "bang for your buck".

Hard to believe that golf is now an economical alternative to clay target shooting. 18 holes of golf w/ a cart at most courses is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than an equivalent amount of time's shooting.

11. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Decent website. Great price of 3$ per round for targets.

12. happyshooter

happyshooter Member

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

You know. I was in a nice family restaurant the other day and, about halfway through my meal, the manager came to our table and asked how our meal was and if everything was alright with the service.

He was a good ambassador for the restaurant and I'm thinking an appointed "ambassador" for the trap part of the club might be a good idea. They should roam both the trapline and the clubhouse. They should have the authority to effect changes within the rules.

Many, many years ago Jim Mathers, owner of Mather's Land O Sports in Springfield, Il. served as his own ambassador but also had some of his friends helping to do the same. Mike Stock was one and there was another, Bob (I forgot his last name but he was a stout and jolly guy). They helped make the shooting experience much more friendly and gave the shooters a person to go to for questions or complaints.

I think every trapshooting club should have at least one of these guys or gals.

14. jhoward

jhoward Member

Not sure about how the rest of your club runs, but if there are any type of organized rifle or pistol matches, drop by and give out cards good for a free round of practice just to get folks to try it out.

15. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Something isn't connecting here... 2000 bodies and a trap field bigger than most clubs in the US and you're not getting any participation...

There is NO trap program.

First off, make a diligent effort to contact the entire membership to find out why no one is shooting trap... that might open your eyes to what the perceived "disconnect" is and provide you with the answers you're seeking...

Jay

16. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

If you have members but not trapshooters......offer a monthly class on how to shoot trap. Maybe the people aren't coming probably because they don't know how to shoot trap. They are likely intimidated by the sport.

17. wlc

wlc Member

We just finished a league where shooters were given a handicap based on their running average (75% of the difference between a perfect score and their average) This gave new shooters a chance to win. It created lots of interest at our club. We shot one evening a week. Shooters could shoot whenever they showed up within a 3 hour period. Some clubs do well with games. Talk to the members and find out what they consider fun. Traveling leagues are more of a commitment than a lot of people want. It sounds like a great facility with very reasonable prices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.