1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to distinguish visually between Lil Gun & 296?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StansCustoms, Aug 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

There is a very remote chance that I may have a small amount of Lil Gun mistakenly poured into an empty Win. 296 container. (very , very remote...but I don't want to take any chances).

It's about 1/2 lb. of powder so I hate to throw it out...

Can anyone tell me if Lil' Gun and 296 look the same...these two samples of powder do...although one may be slightly lighter in color (could be my eyes too..?).

...or can anyone tell me if they are visually different in appearance. The stuff I have looks to be the same flake size. If I remember right, Lil Gun has visibly smaller flake than 296...but my memory isn't all it used to be either.

Thanks..Stan

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

296 is a ball powder, not flakes. Mark

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

$10 worth of powder. Not worth the chance IMHO.

It makes good fertilizer so it is not a complete waste.

First rule of powder use during reloading - NEVER have any other container on the bench except the powder you are using.

Second rule - Empty unused powder from the measure to the proper container after the loading session is completed.

Third rule - NEVER put one type of powder into a container used for another powder unless you remove the original markings and relabel the container IMMEDIATELY.

Fourth rule - NEVER buy opened containers of powder because so few follow the first three rules.

Don Verna

4. StansCustoms

I acknowledge all the above...and practice it. I'm just being EXTRA careful...because I didnn't think I had but one canister of 296...I have two.

Also know that 296 is ball powder.

Now then...

Quote: Can anyone tell me if Lil' Gun and 296 look the same...these two samples of powder do...although one may be slightly lighter in color (could be my eyes too..?).

...or can anyone tell me if they are visually different in appearance. The stuff I have looks to be the same flake (or balls if you like) size. If I remember right, Lil Gun has visibly smaller flake than 296...but my memory isn't all it used to be either.

Best regards..Stan

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

To me Lil Gun is a much finer looking powder. I just started using 296 and to me it looks very different as compared to 296. Jackie B.

6. StansCustoms

I don't have Lil Gun to look at (I think)..

Just 296.

Can you describe Lil Gun compared to 296?

Thanks..Stan

Edit:

I guess you already answered that question Jackie...Duh! You said Lil Gun looks much different/finer than 296. Both the powders I am comparing look exactly alike...other than a slight tint/color diffrence (which may be imaginary).

SInce I have only had Lil Gun and 296...and wouldn' put Lil Gun in a 296 container anyway. I'm sure I just don't remember having any 296 left some time back....and just "thought" I was completely out.

Many thanks for the help...Stan

7. StansCustoms

I wonder ...why would I?

Even more I wonder why anyone would think I would want to mix the two...hmmmm?

...and practicing safety is what this thread is about...or not taking chances actually, even though I am very careful...almost to a fault, if that's possible. To the point of questioning the contents of powder in well marked jugs...

The issue has been resolved...actually it has been established that there was no issue to begin with, as I thought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.