1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to Disassemble/Clean Clark Long Slide 38

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by prairiedog, Jul 8, 2013.

1. prairiedog

prairiedog Member

My son left several handguns for me to care for while he is in Europe. One of them is a Clark Long Slide 38 1911 w/Bo-mar rear sight. I've looked online for a manual that will tell me how to properly disassemble and clean but have come up empty. I checked the Colt website and have downloaded their M1911 and M19111A manuals but would like something specific to this handgun. Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a manual? I'd hate to screw it up as Clark isn't accepting any custom 1911s right now for service.

2. Gabe

Gabe Member

I'm sure youtube has some videos showing disassembly of 1911's. not that hard once you see it done. Do a search, you will pull up what you need.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Caliber shouldn't change disassembly. 1911's are simple enough to do blindfolded. Just ask the Military folks on here.

4. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

PD,
    PM inbound.
    Pat

5. Mapper

Mapper Member

I never owned a Clark, but most target 45s you take the whole top end off. You do NOT take the bushing out. Just push the slide back to the index mark and push the pin out, then slide the entire top end off.

6. oz

oz Active Member

If it has a 2 piece recoil spring guide rod it is tricky to do. leave it alone or you might screw it up and your son will have to fix it when he comes home. You should not have to clean it if you leave it alone.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Magaazine out chamber checked, gun empty.

Pull the slide back about 1/2 way until the lug on the slide stop lines up with the disassembly notch in the slide. Push the slide stop out from the right side of the pistol. The slide and barrel will come off at this point by pushing the slide forward.

If the gun has a full length guide rod, unscrew the guide rod with an allen wrench in the muzzle end of the rod. If it is a conventional recoil spring it will have popped out when you pulled the slide off.

8. prairiedog

prairiedog Member

Sarge,

"cleaned and oiled before he left" LMAO!! Hardly... So far almost every gun has been ridden hard and put away wet. Thought I would never get the Ruger Mark I cleaned. Every bit of oil in the gun had turned to a gummy varnish.

I practiced disassemble/reassemble on a std 1911 before I tackled the Clark. It was like Gabe said, "not that hard once you see it done". The recoil spring guide rod was one piece and the barrel bushing turned by hand easily on both guns. I'm not wearing a blindfold yet but think I could clean one in a fraction of the time it took me the first time.

Next problem is how to get the one piece wooden grip off of a Browning Medalist 22 LR target pistol. It has one screw on the left side palm swell. I unscrewed it (it doesn't want to come out of the grip) but the grip won't budge. One you tube video said the grip has to come off at a specific angle or you risk chipping the corners of the grip. I downloaded the manual for the Medalist but it only shows two grips, both two piece.

Anyone know how to do this? I can post a pic of the grip if you need to see it.

I'm going to start another thread for the Medalist problem.

Search tags for this page

clark 38 longslide

clark long slide 38