1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to determine wood finish type???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by luvtrapguns, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

How would I determine what type finish has been applied to a stock or foregrip? I have a very nice Ljutic forend that does not need a complete refinish but a light sanding with an added top coat should have it looking new again. My concern would be to use a finish compatible with what is already there. Thanks, Marc

2. luvtrapguns

Wood appears to have had a finish added to a small area. My grip has no ser# and I can not place a year to it. I talk with Jimmie and Nadine frequently but for my own knowledge I would like to know how to test a finish to determine type. Would I use a solvent of some sort that would soften or remove an oil finish yet leave a poly or varnish intact? I have several other projects planned, this info would be helpful. Thanks, Marc

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Marc- A top coat of an oil finish should be safe. If you want a hard bright finish, get a recommendation from Ljutic. If you want a soft bright finish, automobile wax works well for a few shoots. Do not expect a touch up job to give the same results as refinishing the stock.

Pat Ireland

4. luvtrapguns

Thanks, I have found out that a two part epoxy type finish has been applied. To do the refinish the right way it looks as though I had best strip all the way down to bare wood. As lazy as I get sometimes (mayby all the time) I guess I was looking for an easy way out. Thanks, Marc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

determine wood finish

how to finish typing in masked shooters