1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to determine LOP with adjustable trigger?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by brent375hh, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

Sep 15, 2009
    I am always seeing LOP mentioned with guns that have triggers that slide back and forth. At what point is it measured on these guns?

2. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2007
    From the throat of the trigger to the end of the recoil pad.
  3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Aug 15, 2007
    LOP is traditionally measured from the buttpad to the center point of the trigger. An adjustable trigger thus allows for changing the traditional LOP by moving the trigger back or forward as desired. However, in my view, most discussions of LOP neglect an equally important part of gun fit, and that is the distance of the pistol grip curve from the trigger. A gun may "fit" in terms of LOP (as traditionally measured) and still not be comfortable and not provide a comfortable grip in relation to the trigger if the pistol grip does not provide a comfortable grip allowing a proper placement of the trigger finger on the trigger. To me, this is where an adjustable trigger can help in getting a good gun "fit" in that it allows for trigger movement to get that grip comfortable and the "trigger reach" (that is, the distance the finger has to stretch to fit on the trigger) made more comfortable and thus better, for the shooter. Where my guns have adjustable triggers, I first get the trigger adjusted so that the grip and subsequent "reach" and trigger finger position on the trigger feel right and are correct, then I worry about the overall LOP (which is then set by using an adjustable buttplate and pad thickness) In my view, proper LOP has thus little to do with the "traditional" measurment of butt to to trigger, but is more concerned with setting an LOP such that my face placement on the stock is properly comfortable, lends to proper hold and swing, and is repeatable shot to shot.

Jim R
  4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Jim R, excellent point about the pistol grip. My Browning O/U I can only set the trigger in the middle position, 14.5". One notch further forward and my finger doesn't feel right on the trigger. On the other hand, my Marocchi O/U is all the way forward, 14-3/4" and is very comfortable. Wayne
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

adjustable trigger and lop

proper trigger finger placement in trap shooting