1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How To Determine Choke Tube Size

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by supersenior, Oct 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supersenior

supersenior Member

I have a Briley XFULL choke tube for my BT 99 Plus.
    Briley states that it's 040.
    Without using a bore gauge (don't have one) is there a way to measure this choke and arrive at .040?
    Can Dial Calipers be used to determine the above?

Borden ZEE

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Yes dial calipers can be used. Assuming your tubes are Invector Plus, the bore of your gun will be around 0.745". So, minus 0.40" an extra full should put that choke at 0.705". Full 0.710", IM 0.715" etc. My Carlson's Full is 0.710". Those numbers are ballpark figures, Briley might have 0.700" as an extra full.

Wayne

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, without being able to reach down and measure the bore dia, you're guessing.

4. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Ask around at your club if anyone has a barrel bore gauge, or buy one from The Unloader, who sells them on this site. Good investment. Mark

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

He is asking what the choke should measure, not the bore. An extra full should be between 0.700 and 0.705" with Invector+ tubes.

Wayne

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Wanye, You only have half of the equation. It should measure .040 less than the bore diameter. You have to have both measurements to know the amount of constriction. HMB

7. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

The barrel bore gauge will tell you the barrel and choke diameter, then as Bill Clinton says, it's just a little arithmetic. Mark

8. jayco32

jayco32 TS Member

The bore size on a lot of guns is not as advertised. My Browning is shown to be a .742 bore. When I measured it with a bore gauge the single barrel is .738 and the O/U is .736. So, as you can see you need to know both the bore diameter and the choke to calculate the actual constriction. Hope this helps.

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Thats true HMB, but no choke maker measures your bore. They know an Invector+ bore is 0.745" + or - a couple of thousands. You can order chokes and buy them off the shelf, and they screw right in. Knowing the bore of fixed choked barrels was the only way to tell what constriction you had. Carlson's extra full measures 0.700" and full is 0.710". Thats close enough for me.

Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to determine choke size

how to determine choke size in a browning invector

how to determine which choke tube