1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How To Define 'Natural Ability'

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OneShooter, Jul 25, 2013.

1. OneShooter

OneShooter Member

I've seen this term tossed around a lot, but what's a good definition for it?

2. OneShooter

OneShooter Member

Sorry for the typo in title, didn't notice it until it was too late :(

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Dene ?

GB
    DLS

4. Straight50

Straight50 Member

Are you talking about "known ability" ?

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Natural ability is, by another term, simple "talent".

There are good trapshooters that have talent and shoot winning scores "right out of the box".
    There are trapshooters who shoot winning scores but have had to work very hard at the game.
    There are trapshooters who shoot for fun.

6. tachyon

tachyon Member

How To Dene 'Natural Ability'?

I introduce about 30-40 girls every year to the sport of trapshooting. There are two aspects to being successful.
    Natural ability includes reaction time, hand eye coordination, eyesight, upper body strength and coordination. In addition, some have good "body sense". They quickly acquire a consistent pre shot routine, mount the gun the same every time and have proper foot work. Others have the gun in a different position for every shot. I have found that dancers and gymnasts typically have this "body sense" and swimmers and gymnasts have good upper body strength. For others it takes a lot of work and practice to acquire this level of consistency.

The second part is drive and determination. That can overcome just about everything. A few years ago we had a freshman shooter who after an entire season of shooting was dead last of about 1,800 shooters at our state meet. She was also a cheerleader and we thought that she would probably not return the next year. She not only returned she kept shooting all summer, slowly improving, First 10 per round, then 15 then by her senior year she was quite competitive even winning a few medals. At her last meet she ran the singles. She started with no "natural ability" but through hard work and determination became a good shooter.

The third aspect is the mental part of the game. That is its own topic.

7. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Natural ability is a skill or skills you are born with. Most all Superstars were born with it. Your chances of becoming a superstar are more likely if you were born with natural ability. You see it in all sports. Most of our top shooters were born with natural ability. Some have made the 27 yd. line in a year. Most of us will never make it in our life time. All they had to do was hone their N A a bit.

Clyde

8. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I'm with straight50. I'm sure he meant "known ability." This whole post is getting kind of silly and it seems the original poster was embarrassed and took off.

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I was one of those fortunate enough to have Natural Ability at shooting trap and all guns. It used to be at the top years ago but has deteriated over the years.

A good friend of mine was a Natural but ATA gave him yardage on known ability before he could apply it on Registered shoots from shooting calcuttas.

Why is it the ATA shooters are afraid of a natural shooting shooter w/ability to break targets in calcuttas shooting harder angle targets using 1 1/4oz loads @1200fps.

So he quit shooting ATA Targets and is Fishing Bass Tournaments, and has won several fully equipped bass boats.

He and his Dad introduced me to fishing and I could never thank them enough, his dad and mom were part Indian and his dad really knew fishing, we used to fish at Hoover Dam near Columbus and they taught me how to jig for Walleye
    we caught a lot of them in the sailboat area in the evenings and night.

His dad and mom have passed as well as my own Thanks John and Jerry Shockcor for teaching me how to fish.

Jerry is well known in the Bass tournaments.

I am a natural in being a Master Automobile Mechanic GM Certified.

I am a natural in building GM Engines and TH400 Transmissions for drag racing.

Call it bragging if you like or patting myself on my back, but I am a natural.

Jump on my a** GrnTitansh*t BigDonsh*t Flagratosh*t they only thing they have to brag about is jumping on others w/natural ability.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

tachyon, very good take on new shooters abilities!

The competitive spirit of the cheerleader finally paid off for that lady! Without that ingrained aspect of competitive nature, even those with great hand, eye and physical attributes may never rise to the occasion either.

Some new shooters must work a lot harder at being a good shot than those with natural gifted qualities but it can be accomplished. A competitive spirit mixed with determination to succeed with good coaching is a combination to be reckoned with!

Good job tachyon!!

HAP

11. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Natural ability has more to do with the mind in my opinion. The ability to concentrate in the highest sense, and apply it to what you are physically capable of equally, is what I would consider true natural ability. Nothing else matters at that critical time, when the shot is taken, the ball is thrown, the ball is caught, etc.

12. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

Natural ability for example is when someone that never ice skated before puts on a pair of skates and simply skates away and doesn't fall. Apply that to shooting.

13. Barry C. Roach

Known ability, converse to Natural ability, refers to a set of judgement guidelines and tools, that can be used by ATA classification to determine a shooter's class and/or handicap yardage when the scores posted on the shooter's ATA scores card are contrary to the overall performance of the shooter in non-registered events as well as "patterns" that may indicate that the shooter is misrepresenting their true ability.

It is an attempt to protect the whole field of honest registered trapshooters from who are commonly called, "sandbaggers".

First, I believe that it's unfortunate that it is necessary. Second, I believe that it's a rare classification official that has the guts to enforce it's use. Tough job. Bear.

14. OneShooter

OneShooter Member

First, sorry I haven't been responsive n this forum. At Iowa State Shoot! Also, yes I meant talent. Sorry for the confusion.

15. GW22

GW22 Active Member

A couple years ago I squadded with a guy who was shooting a Stoeger coach gun. His routine was all over the place but he showed some definite ability so I started BSing with him to see why he was shooting a gun like that. He knew very little about trap, guns or shooting at that moment but 12 months later he had upgraded to a Browning and was shooting off against Harlan Campbell. That's my definition of natural ability.

-Gary

16. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Bear, Not on the same page. Is it known ab, natural ab, natural talent, sandbagging?

1ot

17. Barry C. Roach

Oldtimer. Read back. Other contributors to this thread assumed that the poster really meant "Known ability" AFTER I gave my definition of "Natural Ability". To cover both terms I gave my definition of both.

18. Barry C. Roach

Hey Dick, you know what they say about "Assume" don't you?

19. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Dr Longwind

You stated above "Jump on my a** GrnTitansh*t BigDonsh*t Flagratosh*t they only thing they have to brag about is jumping on others w/natural ability."

The ONLY thing you have established so far with me is that you run and hide from every shooting challenge I have offered you!! I have offered you many chances to show your "natural ability" The only ability you have shown is how to run and hide.. you don't even have the guts to reply NO when I challenged you.

Just saying... ..

20. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Frank Little once told me I had it and pulled me out of his clinic to go one on one shooting Doubles. I wonder if he'd still hold that opinion if he was alive today!!