1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to create a detonation!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pyrdek, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

For anyone old enough to remember, this was shown on the OLD TV show Mr. Wizard. That was back when I was a kid in the 50's. It was my favorite show. He would have two kids, a boy and a girl anf for half an hour he would show them and have them perform experiments that could be done with things found around the house. I even remember doing this particular thing at home. It does indeed work.

Nowadays, with all the lawyers and people afraid of damn near everything, no network or cable channel would even consider such a show. It also explains why so much of today's TV is so dumbed down that it is not even worth watching.

2. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Our local Fire dept way back ,did a demo dust explosion,Detonation using a 16" dollhouse with repaceable windows of iesenglass. A thimble full of talcum powder was dropped in the chimney and cork stuck in then a spark plug was energized inside to blow all the windows out. A Big hit with us kids! Jeff

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

My understanding is that Dr. Rudolph Diesel first experimented with powdered coal dust as a fuel for his “Rational Heat” engine or “Diesel” engine as it has become known. The key feature of his engine was compression ignition which ignites the fuel as the internal temperature of cylinder increases as the fuel/air mixture increases to a flash point.

Compression ignition requires a much higher compression ratio, in the order of 20:1, than an Otto cycle (gasoline) engine which uses a spark plug and had a compression ratio around 8:1 in 1900.

Dr. Diesel was unable to make powdered coal dust work as the coal dust explosions were occasionally so violent that they disabled the engine. He then switched to a light oil mixture that today bears his name.

Dust explosions have destroyed grain silos, buildings and have been theorized as to the cause of the sinking of the US Battleship Maine which started the Spanish-American war.

Mr. Wizard was one of my favorite television shows.

Today, Bill Nye the Science Guy is the modern day Mr. Wizard.

From the Wikipedia: In 1992–1993, Bill appeared in the live-action educational segments of Back to the Future: The Animated Series with a non-speaking role as an assistant to Dr. Emmett Brown, played by Christopher Lloyd, where he would demonstrate science with Lloyd's voice-over.

This national popularity led to Nye hosting the educational television program Bill Nye the Science Guy from 1993 to 1997. Each of the 100 episodes aimed to teach a specific topic in science to a preteen audience, yet it garnered a wide adult audience as well. The show was somewhat popular as a school resource and is still used to this day. He has written several books as The Science Guy. In addition to hosting the show, he was also a writer and producer for it.

I have used the Bill Nye videos in the classroom. Many kids today enjoy watching experiments the way we enjoyed Mr. Wizard many years ago. Watching an experiment IMO makes a deeper impression on a student's mind than simply reading about it. The Bill Nye videos also have a modern upbeat sound track that the kids like.

Ed Ward

4. jhoward

jhoward Member

If you wish to see this on a grand scale, watch the video below...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRw4ZRqmxOc

5. jhoward

jhoward Member

That is the link I posted above :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.