1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to correct static electicity during reloadng??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TomB, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomB

TomB Member

What do you do to prevent/control of static electricity during your reloading??

I notice that when I pull a shell out to weigh the powder, there are a fair amount of grains that stick to the interior sides of the hull ; and , when I go to dump the powder into the scale pan, some grains actually fly up and attach to the outside of the hull. I notice it mostly in winter--dry air.

But...if anyone has a solution, I'd sure like to know it. Thanks. Tom B

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I raised the humidity level on my furnace and it eliminated all static problems i had. I turn it off in the spring/summer/fall because i never have issue those times of year. Winter gets dry and static is building everywhere.

I run almost 50% humidity. In the summer our outside humidity is 70,80,90's.

3. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Buy a small humidifier for your reloading room. Keep the humidity between 40% and 50%. This will solve the static problem. I add one gallon of water per day in the Winter months to my 24' x 36' shop.

Jim Skeel

4. twopipe

twopipe Member

Roll the hulls around in a box with Bounce anti static dryer sheets, problem solved

5. rdf59

rdf59 Member

I stick a 1"x 3" strip of Bounce in the top of my powder bottle. It is held in place by the red bottle cap with about 2 1/2" inside the cap.

This is in my Bullet Barn (12'x16') with no humidifier in the winter. (temps lows range 18-35 winter). I have zero problems with powder sticking to anything when I pull a hull to test weigh it.

6. twopipe

twopipe Member

It's the hulls that have the static charge

7. leadvail

leadvail Member

http://www.trapshooters.com/noframes/cfpages/thread.cfm?threadid=239690

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've said this before somewhere:

A humidifier is about the best solution. If you "ground" a loader, be sure to put a 1 MegOhm 1/4 or 1/2 Watt resistor in series as a current limiting device for safety. Grounding a loader never seemed to do the trick for me. A simple humidifier has eliminated the issues for me. Static Guard, Dryer Sheets, and products of that category, just don't seem to solve the problem that well.

9. BT99Max100

BT99Max100 Member

Buy a can of 'static guard'. Put the hulls that you are going to reload for the day into a bag or bin and then spray them with static guard and close the bag/bin and shake them a bit. Seems to work for me.

John

10. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

"I notice that when I pull a shell out to weigh the powder, there are a fair amount of grains that stick to the interior sides of the hull ; and , when I go to dump the powder into the scale pan, some grains actually fly up and attach to the outside of the hull."

How often do you do this? How often have you found the weight to be incorrect? It's just one of the (fun) parts of reloading. Relax.

11. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I have a humidifier in my house and have never been bothered with static electricity. My humidity stays around 55% in the winter. (I don't run the humidifier in the summer usually).
    Allen

12. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

Tom-i zero up my scale with a empty hull as the pan,so i dont have to dump the powder out-works great.Perry

13. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"...i zero up my scale with a empty hull as the pan,so i dont have to dump the powder out-works great.</i></blockquote>...except that is can be more than a 2 grain difference between hulls (I've tried this with 10 primed Remington and 10 primed Winchester hulls, all once fired).

How can you get accurate powder weights if the hulls don't weigh the same??

MK

14. psfive

psfive Member

With a dehumidifier running in the room outside my loading room door the hygrometer in my loading room runs between 39% and 44%. Never any higher or lower. I load in the basement of our house. I have some kind of man made fiber carpet on the floor and my stool has a vinyl cover. I can say I have never had a problem with static in my loading systems. Just lucky. Paul in Nebraska.

15. TomB

TomB Member

Thanks Guys for all your responses ! I think as twopipe said that the static is mostly in the hulls. I remember way back when I loaded the ALL AMERICAN hull by Remington, there was no static in them. I'm going to try the static cling sheets and roll the hulls in a bag with the sheets before I load.

16. Harley Lekvold

Harley Lekvold TS Supporters TS Supporters

"...i zero up my scale with a empty hull as the pan,so i dont have to dump the powder out-works great.
    ...except that is can be more than a 2 grain difference between hulls (I've tried this with 10 primed Remington and 10 primed Winchester hulls, all once fired).
    How can you get accurate powder weights if the hulls don't weigh the same??

MK

If you zero the scale with the hull on it, then it doesn't matter what the hull weighs, whether it is 2 ounces or 2 pounds.

17. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Unknown1 , Apparently they are using one hull.

18. porky

porky TS Member

1100 nut has the answer. If you ground the bench or area where you work, everything there will be grounded. You should ground anyway because your of the powder anyway. Just a lamp wire or something as simple as a telephone wire from the loader to a screw on the cover of an outlet will suffice. It doesn't have to be elaborate. A dry area is what you want to have to load in. The dryer sheet works, but it soesn't relieve the area of static electricity.

19. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

Unknown1-use the same hull-duh? I dont keep checking as i go-i check to see if the drop is what its supposed to be,then i reload.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.