1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to correct cheek getting uncomfortable

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by striper, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

I know cheek slap has been covered lots of times and I even have it underlinded in Rollins book but thats not with me and I am having a problem. It all started when I switched stocks on my mod 12s. I have an adjustable comp and butt pad on one gun and shot it very well . Had confidence in the gun good average smoked targets. Well I decided to move that stock to a pigeon that Wrights had worked on for me and that was a huge mistake!! NOw I have been screwing around moving comb up and down right and left trying to get my POI and find that comfort zone I had on the other gun. Damn, I should have never switched them. I thought I had the comb set for the proper sight picture, the figure eight. But my cheek is sore after 50 rds and if I was able to shoot 100 it would be really sore. Tomorrow or when ever weather permitting I am going to shoot at a pattern board. The only problem is you must shoot from a table that is 25 yards from the board. That is not what I am used to but I have to start doing something. So how do I adjust the comb or pad to try and figure out what is causing my cheek to get sore. Frustred !!! Striper

2. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Know the feeling. Only for me a grandson.

Rock

Jim

3. 7bcshooter

7bcshooter Member

Have you considered raising the back of your adjustable comb to be a little higher than the front? By doing that, as the gun moves backward during recoil the comb will move away from your cheek and not into it.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Even with my Precision Fit Stock, I still put a lubricant on my cheek. I used Vaseline for several years but that can get real messy. Now I use a product called Body Glide. It is very popular with bicycle riders and prevents abrasions in the crotch area. It lasts longer than Vaseline on my face and is much neater to use.

Pat Ireland

5. laura!

laura! Member

I solved that problem by adding pitch to my gun. I've actually added a lot of pitch to my gun, probably needed more because I'm female. Worked great and now my gun fits me like a speedo. (a good fittin glove is hard to find)

6. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Striper,

What you wrote indicates that something is quite different. Changing the POI should be a simple matter of moving the comb. Either stock dimensions have changed or something has changed an element of your shooting form. The trick is to find out what.

As you know from reading the book, there are a number of possible causes for cheek slap. Have you considered all of them?

*Is the pressure of your cheek on the comb the same as it was?
    *Is the position of your head relative to the rib the same as it was?
    *Are you mounting the gun in the same place on your shoulder?
    *Are you able to shoot with an upright head and neck posture or has your
    posture changed?
    *Have you changed your stance?

Rollin

7. motrap

motrap Member

Pat ..... Just wonderin' ....... if putting Body Glide on your cheek prevents chafing in the crotch area, I'm thinkin' you south-eastern guys shoot trap considerably different than we do ........

........ however, from another thread, I noticed you usually have a double-release ....... maybe its worth lookin' in to after-all ........ Rudy

8. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

More pitch should solve the problem.Have the bottom of the recoil pad move forward. It is called the toe. Easy to remember it is narrower than the top ,or the heel. Get the pad as flat on the shoulder as you can. Recoil and face slap will largely go away. Pitch is the key.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rudy- I suppose I might have given you the wrong impression by my words.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.