1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to collect the shot from the ground?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ansvel, Aug 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ansvel

ansvel Member

After a years of shooting on our range we have tons of lead.
    Is any way to collect this? The magnet will not work.
    Guy told me one method to cut off the upper layer of soil and then process with separator.., but it commercial and expensive way. What do you think?

2. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

I think you should have paid more attention in school ansvel. Magnets do not work on non-ferrous materials....I mean, like it's gotta' have iron in it! To be effective, one needs some rather expensive equipment and lots of lead (i.e., 50m rounds fired). One such company that does that work is Gene Sears of El Reno, OK. His last effort at KCTA, Smithville, MO recovered some 100 55 gal. drums of shot or about 130 tons.

Buz

Buz

3. missemucho

missemucho Member

Ansvel:
    Where is your club located?
    John

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Small scale, shovel and sifters. Not into it full scale but. Get a resperator rated for lead dust and fumes. heavy cloths and gloves. Less than hour i filled a 5 gallon bucket with shot and of corse sand and small rocks. Thinking of ways to clean for re use. I plan on re melting to make shot. When I get a shot maker.

5. ansvel

ansvel Member

missemucho
    I'm in Toronto, Canada.

alfermann66
    Read my post again before send me back to school.

maclellan1911
    How far did you go from trap house and what is procedure when you collect?
    I think to clean you need to deal with water or blow away the dirt with the strong air.

Thanks.

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

Flat pointed shovel and take the first nch or so of soil. Make a sifter box with a screen wire bottom. Shovel dirt and lead into box and wash with water to remove all but the shot and gravel. Put shot and gravel into a melting pot--the gravel will float after the lead is melted. Skim away the gravel and you have clean lead. VOLIA!!!

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Ansvel, At my club we have trees real close, just behind the 51y stake. I just look where the trees are getting the worst impact, I then go several yards in all directions. If you do a little probing you should see recent shot on ground. Try to find heaviest areas. my guess is im at 150 to 200 y range for best collection. How I do it 5g bucket strapped to 2wheeler, Flat metal peice with 1 1/8 holes in it. This is actually a out door patio table. I plan on making a better sifter set up with reduced wire size from larger down to the 1 1/8 holed panel. I was thinking something on the line of the web sit above? Im in the process of trying to do small scale member based recycle. I think a few days in fall or spring could net enough lead to support my needs as far as reloading goes. I plan on stocking up on lead and getting a shot maker in near future.

8. ansvel

ansvel Member

BILL GRILL

go back to school...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.