1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to Clear an Indoor Range

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Coach, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Yesterday, I picked up my 5 1/2" Ruger Super Blackhawk. Loaded a batch of Atomic Annies with three tablespoons of Blue Dot behind a 180 gr HP. Went to the indoor range down the street, and lit up the gun. WOW.

Less than five minutes after I got there, I was the only shooter on the line!

As soon as I put the cannon away, folks started coming back into the range area.

Damn, it KICKS, but is VERY accurate. They charge $8 if you damage ceiling tiles. I think I scorched some of them today. LOL

2. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Southpaw and magnaported gun?

3. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Why do you want to do that?

4. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Nothing funny about that!

5. Shooting Coach

Not Magnaported. 5 1/2" barrel, full throttle 44 Mag, 180 gr in excess of 1700 fps. I shoot handguns either hand.

Did not have the intent to clear the line. Range owners are okay with Magnum handguns.

The trainer thought a center fire rifle was on the line until he looked.

Why? I LOVE THE 44 MAGNUM! Been loading it since the late 50's. I have a Smith 629 5" Classic for mid range and cast bullets, 2 Rugers for Atomic Annies. I like to shoot the 7 1/2" Super Redhawk at 200 yards. The 5 1/2" Super Blackhawk is intended to be a field carry gun.

However, from here on in, I will likely shoot it outside. It IS brutal in an indoor range.

6. reddbudd

reddbudd Well-Known Member

Years ago I took several revolvers to an outdoor range.
    Only one other shooter was firing a 45 auto about four stations to my right.
    I shot a couple of cylinders out of a 44 mag. The other shooter didn't seem
    to notice. I then shot a cylinder full out of a S&W 22 Jet. The other shooter
    threw down his ear muffs and stormed down to me and rather nastily demanded,
    "What the hell are you shooting? It is very loud." I couldn't help but laugh.

Bud Edwards

7. Aulovel5

Aulovel5 TS Member

I get the same effect with my 338 Laupua at the rifle range especially the ones with tin roofs. People tend to dislike large muzzle breaks

8. RayReys

RayReys Member

A few years back, my dad and i showed up to one of the local indoor ranges with a .22 rifle, a 9mm, and an Anaconda in .44mag. There were two other bays or so being used; on our right a few bays down was a guy showing a girl how to shoot. Shot the Marlin .22 first; was quiet next to whatever the girl was shooting (9mm or .40 iirc). Then pulled the anaconda out and touched off one factory round. I paused for a sec only to hear the guy tell the girl, "now that's a gun!" I smiled for awhile.

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I get the same reaction coach when I shoot my 4 5/8" Blackhawk 41 Mag and a 6" 30 carbine Blackhawk which even gives me a headache..indoors or out

10. fast gun

fast gun Active Member

I dont have any indoor ranges in my area Im reduced to using the range in my back yard. ( its rough ) My next project will be to build a shooting shack Too cold an windy today to do much,

11. oz

oz Active Member

years ago I used to use sierra 180 JHP with 31 gr of H110> got the recipe in a magazine. I think it was super vel. I don't think blue dot is appropriate for a 44 mag.

12. oz

oz Active Member

I just cheched the hogdon's reloading site. they do not show blue dot anywhere for 44 mag. they do show 180 gr jhp with max of 31.5 H110 or 296. Velocity is 1886.

13. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

I took my 2 pistols to an indoor range (GP-100 & 4 5/8" 44Mag Super Blackhawk). I asked the owner about the .44 indoors and he said it was no problem.

I go in and there is a dad & 2 young boys shooting dad's .22 lever gun from his childhood with subsonic shorts and a pellet gun. I make sure the boys have their ears on and run a box of .38 wadcutters through the GP.

I get the .44 out & tell the boys this will be louder, and to make sure their muffs are on correctly. I touch the first one off and the youngest, probably 7 years old, lets out a "WOWWWW dad what is that!" His reply was "I don't want to know."

On the second shot something hit me in the head. Couple of shots later 2 9mm brass fell on to the table in front of me. There were cases stuck in the celing tiles, and the .44 would rattle a couple loose every other shot.

I only shot it 12 times indoors. It was too loud and uncomfortable. I was next to the concrete wall and the concussion gave me a headache on the first shot. Call me a wuss but no more .44 inside for me.

14. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

CalvinMD,

I'll second the 30 carbine in a pistol.

I've an AMT that shoots a bule flame that seems six feet long - Sharp crack rather than the rolling BOOM of most big-bore handguns.

Ouch.. COOL, but ouch

15. Shooting Coach

Dear OZ

Hodgdon does not sell Blue Dot, Alliant does. Lee's manual shows Blue Dot in most big bore and magnum handguns. Gives close to the highest velocity with lighter bullets.

20 gr will do what 30 gr of H110 will do for the 180.

Shotshell and pistol powders are about the same burn speed. 12 ga works with standard and target loads (Red Dot, Clays, Unique), 20-28 works with high pressure standards (WSF, HS-6), such a 9X19, 38 Super, and 40/10mm.

Magnum 12 ga powders (especially Blue Dot) work well for light bullet Magnum handgun loads.

410 powders (Lil Gun, H110, 296, 300MP) work for heavier bullet magnum loads.

16. jhoward

jhoward Member

Oz, since Blue Dot is an Alliant powder, I doubt it will be listed on the Hodgdon site. A quick glance at the Alliant site does show a load for 200gr bullets with Blue Dot, I didn't really look any further.

17. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Coach,

I've loaded .44Mag with Green Dot. It's not my favorite load but it did make for a nice smooth shooting round. I buy GD in 8lb jugs for my trap loads so when I came across .44 Mag data using it, I had to try it. I load for my T/C Contendor w/14" Hunter Barrel w/muzzle tamer. That gun is a pleasure to shoot in .44 Mag.
    grntitan_2009_250349.jpg

18. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I like that crunching sound of powder when you seat bullets.

Wayne

19. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

"Three tablespoons of Blue Dot" LOL

20. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Oh yeah HD..the 30 Carbine in a pistol from a pure noise concussion standpoint is on par with the XP100s in 7mm-08...blinding in low light and likes to paste your eyebrows back with the blast

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.