1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to clean stock????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by elmo, Jul 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elmo

elmo Member

My old citori wood is very dirty. Has a lot of dirt build up on stock and forearm, also in the checkering. How do I get it clean without hurting the finish?
    Clayman

2. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

We used Formby's Furniture Cleaner on Jack's father's old M1-A1 and it turned out beautiful.

Carol Lister

3. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

I think the finish on the issue M14 was linseed oil based. Uncertain 'bout the M1A1.

But if varnish or oil is on your Citori, you can still use a commercial wood cleaner, toothbrush on the checkering, and oil to finish.

If the finish is one of the harder poly types, again soap and water ought to do it. Oil will not penetrate the poly, so forget that step. Do not use water on unsealed wood, as where the stock wood joins the trigger group or receiver.

4. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

For a varnished finish, the best cleaner I've used is Honda's Cleaner/Polish for motorcycle from any Honda motorcycle dealer. A 14Oz spray can will last years. Spray on a light mist, wipe off with a soft cotton rag. Takes off dirt and leaves a nice shine. Doesn't evaporate later like Pledge. 30 seconds start to finish.

If you get light scratches or just want to bring up a brilliant shine, use 3M's extra fine automotive rubbing compound (from NAPA store). Rub in small circles using a soft flannel rag with a soft rubber sanding block. If you put in the work, you can get get a beautiful glossy finish. Not everybody likes a wet looking finish, but it looks terrific on a nice piece of wood.

On an oiled stock, you can use linseed oil with a toothbrush to get the crud out of checkering. I also use a toothbrush on varnished stocks with the spray polish to get out crud and the small amounts of rubbing compound I generally get in the checkering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.