1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to clean recycled shot ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by SONO MAN, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SONO MAN

SONO MAN TS Member

Hello everyone, I have the chance to collect recycled shot, but I don't know how to clean it. If anyone has an idea how to clean the shot, it is appreciated. Thanks, Peter.

2. BuddyR

BuddyR TS Member

How much shot do you plan to clean? Bud

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I tell ya, been given the go to reclaim what ever I can from club, no power machines ,all hand is the kicker. Trying to clean it is a pain. I have been just shoveling into sifters down to the size of 7.5 shot. I then use a shop vac to blow off the light stuff. I then place on screen that is about the size if #9 shot or so? Then a quick rinse then set to dry. Then goes into melter for ignots to be made into shot. I have had a pretty good run. Total about 4 hours sifting and cleaning got about 250lbs off the ground. 10bags at 39.99 bag? its not bad if you have nothing else to do. I do not make 40.00hr so its not to bad.

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

$39.95 a bag??

Local Bass Pro is at $50 a bag for shot!

Guess I'll be shooting the cheap 'promo' ammo now1

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

arrggh 50 a bag. Any way my wife works friday nights, so sat mornings I gotta kill a few hours as not to wake her. So shot recycle or shooting. I like both

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Just to mention where protection. hat gloves resperator gogles jump shoot. wash up good before tracking through your house ect ect. Resperator!!!!! all times.

7. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Mac, You must be paranoid. It'd be worth 5 bucks to see you in a get-up like that trying to reclaim shot.

I agree don't track it in the house, The lady of the house would get mad. It's not a good idea to eat the stuff either. It's not like your cleaning up fuming sulphuric acid spill.

Jim

8. SONO MAN

SONO MAN TS Member

Thanks for all your responds, Peter.

9. BuddyR

BuddyR TS Member

I have two screens, the top takes out bigger stuff, the lower takes out #8 and larger shot and little rocks. Put it in a contractors' wheel barrow and blow it with a leaf blower or shop vac. Lower the wheel barrow handles and let the roll to the back , then blow it as it rolls to the front. Do this four or five times and it's pretty clear.Be careful not to get the blower too close to the shot or you'll blow it away. Put graphite on the shot and you're ready to shoot it again. Bud

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Just a bit Jim. I rather be careful.

11. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I clean each shot individually, using a toothbrush and Simple Green.Then, rinse in distilled water and polish dry with a Egyptian-cotton bath towel.

I don't actually have a life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.