1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to Clean My Bore Snake?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jcallan, Dec 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcallan

jcallan TS Member

Fellow Shooters,

First of all Merry Christmas. Had a great day with the family and then could not resist four rounds with my new gun...well, it is an old gun, purchased last week. SKB Model 605 Combo Trap set for those keeping track. Shoots well for me, but then having never shot...almost anything shoots well.

I got back and discovered that after several cleanings of my son's gun and the first good cleaning of my new gun earlier in the week that my Bore Snake seems to put more residue in the gun than take it out. The virgin white snake is now a hideous black snake. How do you clean this reptile?

I really do not want to put in in the washer with clothes that we wear, as I expect that the residue mixing with clothes would really bring up some nasty skin ailments. Who knows prolonged contact is likely carcinogenic.

This Bore Snake has those copper bristles embedded in it. I am wondering if the bristles oxidize in any way if I just throw some detergent in a bucket and have at the snake with a good stick? I would hate to introduce rust via the Bore Snake to the barrels of my guns.

So, how do yoy folks clean your trusty Bore Snakes? How often to you find you clean them, etc?

Thanks,

Jim Callan

2. bear2

bear2 TS Member

I take mine and soak it in a frying pan with HOT water and alot of dish soap.Leave it in there for hour or two,and give it a poke once in a while.Rinse well with cold water.(My wife says the soap come out better with cold) Hang it by the wood stove for a day or two.
    Barry

3. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

The simple way to clean that snake is to put it in the top rack of your dishwasher and run it through a cycle. It will come out very clean and only needs to be air dried. Quick and painless.

4. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Delbert,

DO NOT tell your wife you are putting your bore snake in the dishwasher! Grounds for serious friction...put it in when she's gone. It works great!

Bob

5. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

Bob, my wife doesn't mind the snake cleaning as long as there aren't any dishes in the disnwasher at the same time. I don't see the problem with dual cleaning, but I'm willing to compromise on this!

6. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

No comment !!

But I keep mine clean.

Rock

Jim

7. ONE EYE

ONE EYE TS Member

Just put a little castrol super clean in the bottom of bucket and a little water and swish around for a minute and hang dry. It will look brand new.

8. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

What about Tico Rod?

9. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Dreft clothes washing soap works great on a tico.

10. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

Due to the length of the Tico Rod the only place you can really soak them is in the bath tub. Is there a special way or place you guys clean them?

11. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

I clean my snake everytime I take a shower, have to be careful though once I cleaned it a little too much and had an AD. LOL Merry Christmas!!!

12. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I put it in a five gallon pail half full of hot water and some dawn dish soap, soak for a few hours then work it for a few minutes with the ole toilet plunger.

Repeat process with clean water then hang dry.

13. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Here is an idea = read the back of the package. It says. 'The BORESNAKE can be washed easily by hand. Band securly or use wash bag for machine cleaning. Air dry'.Does not get any simpler than that. Now then for the 'sneaky' snake. Don't put it anywhere that is dirty! I believe the instructions for the Tico type of cleaning rods say to just use some warm water and dish soap and afterwards rinse well and air dry. Too much ice outside to go to the garage to check on the instructions on mine. Bill

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I would never put that filthy snake in with my wifes panties.

15. ismah

ismah Member

Keep your bore snake cleaner by putting a cotton cleaning patch at the end of the line. Poke a hole in the patch, thread it down the line to the thick part of the snake and pull it through. Your snake will stay cleaner, longer.

16. jcallan

jcallan TS Member

Bill -- "Here is an idea = read the back of the package."

Love to have read the package...if I had kept it! Terribly difficult to read what you do not have. Kept the clear box but not the bloody cardboard piece...Hence the question in the first place. Although, given the residue issue as outlined in my original post I am not sure I wanted this snake crawling around in the undies. By the sounds of some of the posts neither do others.

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have let one soak in the toilet bowel for a little bit, then removed the top from the tank and put some liquid soap in. Then all I have to do is flush a couple of times.

Another tip. I learned during my single college days that I could put dirty socks in drinking glasses and clean both at the same time in a dishwasher.

Pat Ireland

18. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Put it in a sock and and wash it in the washing machine, pre-soaking will help.

Robert

19. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

I have been cleaning mine in the 8lb container that Clays comes in. Fill half way full with hot watter and Dawn dish soap. Put the cap on the jug, give it a shake or two and let sit for a few hours. Pull it out, rinse with cold water and let dry.

IMHO...Jerbear

20. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

jcallan: I soak mine in the kitchen sink with alot of dawn dishwashing liquid with the hottest water i can get out of my tap and soak them over night then rinse and hang dry they come out like new. Pat.k.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
boar snake in dishwasher
bore snakes dirty
how do you clean bore snakes
how to clean a bore snake

how to clean bore snake

how to clean my bore snake
how to clean the bore snake
how to wash boresnake