1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to clean Checkering on a shotgun??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Sal 1253, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sal 1253

Sal 1253 TS Member

Does anyone have any direction on what the best way to clean the checkering on a firearm??
    Thanks for your feedback

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What kind of finnish is on the stock? HMB

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Google "Whiting" and see if that's what you're looking for.

ss

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Hoppes and a tooth brush

5. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Clenzoil and a baby's toothbrush.

6. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Someone put a thread on here showing how to do it with whiting. It looked great. Try searching for whiting in messages go back as far as you can. Bulge.

Subject: One Progression in Restoration===whiting
    Email: cameron.mark@ymail.com
    Date: Thu, Nov 12, 2009 - 06:52 PM ET
    Website Address:

Whiting:

Here is a progression in restoration of a stock set. It takes patience but the results can be fantastic. It will not only improve your guns appearance, but, the value of the gun as well.

The before:

Step one: The Brownells Whiting mixed per directions with TCE cleaner/degreaser now gets applied as a paste to the checkering. This is followed by patience as the whiting needs time to dry completely.

Step two: Once dried, a soft nylon bristled brush works well for removal (don't scrub)lightly worked in the direction of the cuts in checkering.

Once all the whiting is removed, this is what it will look like.

Step three: Next step is to use the soft bristle brush and remove the residual whiting from the checkering. For this (on the advise of a good friend) I used a vinegar based multi surface cleaner and again go slow. After cleaning, again it is time to let it dry completely. Over nite is good. That should leave you with something like this.

Step four: Now, the final process may differ based on the type of finish your stock may have or your personal preference. For the final stage on this Perazzi stock set, I used Tru Oil cut with Mineral spirits to achieve the desired protection and finish. Here is the result.

Steps one through three may have to be repeated for extreme cases. It takes a few days to allow the various phases of the operation to cure correctly but the outcome I'm sure you'll agree is well worth it. Let me know if you would like this done to your stock set and don't have the time. I find myself with plenty of time, so for a small fee I would enjoy doing the work for you.

You paid alot for your guns, I hope this helps in the care of them. Mark

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Murphy oil and a toothbrush? In the past, with stocks that do not have an oil finish, but a "shiny" finish, I've used either woodcleaner and a toothbrush or rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush to be followed with a little furniture oil like pledge. But...don't trust my advice for anything that is a less durable shiny finish typically found on a trapgun..like a fine oil finish. For that, idk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best way to clean checkering on a shotgun
cleaning checkering on a shotgun
how to clean checkering on a shotgun

how to clean shotgun threads