1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to clean barrel porting holes?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gmhgmh, Jul 30, 2013.

1. gmhgmh

gmhgmh TS Member

Any insight on how to clean barrel porting holes without scratching barrel? Thanks, George

2. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

You mean there isn't even enough pressure at the end of the barrel to blow out the crud????

And the holes are a recoil device??

that's so funny

3. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I never clean the ports, there's nothing in the porting holes will change the performance of a barrel.

4. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Me neither...

5. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

Gas ports for auto loaders or ports for noise?

If for ported bbls, stick a rag in the end of it and clean away with anything you stick thru it, unless you are cleaning it with a drill bit chucked into the drill.

I use torch tip cleaners for my gas reliefs on my 870 CT.

Another idea may be them wire bristle pipe cleaners for muzzle loaders.

Or just wrap duct tape around them from the outside, and let the ports get filled in.

Kenny U

6. 3357

3357 Member

Brownells sells a port cleaning brush and handle, it works, use rem oil to soften and then clean with the brush, pipe cleaner to finish.

7. andybull

andybull Active Member

I made a small knurled bass piece with a rill bit the size of the holes. Just poke in and out of the hole. WhencI shot aclot, I would spray the barrels with Wd-40 wipedxthem down and that seemed to keep them clean.
    I've shotmy share of live birds and porting works.

8. ZTWITHE

ZTWITHE Member

Depending on size of the ports, a .17 cal. wire brush works pretty good after soaking in rem-oil or R.G.S or something similar.

9. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

Use a bore cleaner like Hoppes #9, Shooters Choice or Kerosene and soften up the crud. Then blow the holes out with an air-hose if you have one. You can use pipe cleaners, a plastic bristle cleaning brush, or an old toothbrush, if you don't have compressed air.

It doesn't take long to realize this is mostly done for cosmetics and it looks the same after shooting one day, or for a month. It's kind of like sand building up on your bare feet at the beach. After a while it falls off and doesn't get any worse. Duane

10. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

isn't that the way the crud in the barrel works too? Just askin'. Bill

11. legman

legman Member

+1 for torch tip cleaner, they seem to be made for the job. Kenny Bruggeman

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Toothpicks or pipe cleaners.

13. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Pastry tip cleaners, found in any bake shop for about 50 cents. They come in all sizes and last a long time.

Wayne

[​IMG]

14. parrothead

parrothead Member

I use a drill bit close to the size of the port hole chucked into a tap handle.

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

They sell PORT CLEANERS One place is Brownells, I have seen then in Shotgun Sports Magazines.

Use a drill bit the size of the ports, close to 1/8th of an inch.

Gary Bryant

16. Animal

Animal Member

Remove the barrel and lay it on top of your cleaning mat or rags. Get an old worn out 12 ga. brush with a short handled cleaning rod, like a Dewey. Dip a clean 3" patch (submerge it completely) in Ed's Red. Center the soaked patch over the end of the barrel and then push it down past the last ports with the cleaning brush and then remove. Then take another 3" patch, soak it in Ed's Red again, and mop the ports from the outside of the barrel and let soak. Go clean up the other parts of the gun and have a beer while the barrel soaks a while. When you get back to the barrel, put on a good 12 ga. cleaning brush and scrub the ported area as needed. I do my complete barrels the same way, but at the chamber end I use a good stiff chamber brush. This method produces excellent results and shortens my cleaning time significantly. By using the above method, I've never had to clean each individual port hole with anything to get it clean, therefore eliminating the possibility of scratching the barrel with a steel object. In my opinion, cleaning out my ports with any metal object would be like cleaning my ears with an ice pick and a .556 patch. There are special brushes made for ports and gas systems. The key with this method is do it often enough so that it doesn’t get built up with carbon and other gunk from the trunk (S%#T). Again, this is my opinion only and has worked great for me.

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Clenzoil and a toothbrush ... Do not reuse the tooth brush after use for your teeth ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

WPT,

Well that will explain my black teeth and the nasty taste in my mouth.

19. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Sorry Matt, I just figured everyone would know ... So, how did it work ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

20. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Buy a pin vise at a hobby shop and the exact size drill bit at the hardware store and have at it. Bulge.