1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to clean a stained stock?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Porcupine, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

I've just picked up a 1961 Browning Broadway Lightning (32", release/pull) that functions and shoots perfectly, but the stock is stained, especially at the top of the grip (perspiration?). Can this be cleaned easily or does it need to be refinished? Thanks for any help.

LA

2. nipper

nipper TS Member

try some maguiers clear coat body scrub, clear coat cleaner for car paint,will take some elbow grease but should polish up great.

bill

3. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Probaly not perspiration, perspiration would probaly only be on the surface ( unless the finish has been removed ) it is more likely to be oil sacutation that is usually caused in guns that have been around for a while by someone over oiling the action etc and then standing the gun up in a gun case and or safe and the oil gravitates down into the wood, and what a lot of people dont realise it that oil will rot wood in a simular way that water does..

4. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

drhuner,

What you write makes sense. If this is the case, can I redeem this stock or should I try to replace it?

Maybe I should just paint it, a la Foghorn! LOL.

LA

5. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

I have already repaired guns with oil saturation but it is tricky, I took the stock off and removed the soft saturaed wood from the inside and replaced it with Glass bedding, but this can be cery trickey if you have never worked with glass bedding, if it is not to soft to can maybe use mineral spirts or other paint tinners to remove some of the oil or like you mentioed paint it but use a oil based enamel or an epoxy paint... I am sure that you will get more comments here....Good Luck

6. Piper Mac

Piper Mac Member

Brownells sells 'Old Fashioned Whiting'; draws the oils out of wood. Would this work? Never used it, wondered if anyone has and if would work to get an oil stain out?

7. Paphman

Paphman TS Member

Try some K2R Spot lifter. Spray it on the area, let it dry,brush it off. You can do this as many times as it takes to get the desired results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.