1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to change stocks color?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bodybuilder, May 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I have an 11-87 special purpose with the dull wood finish and it has some scratches on it. I would Like to make it a Blonde stock. How would I do that and is it hard to do around the checkering? I think maybe Maple is the choice. Thanks

2. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

I think that you may be Dreaming, you cant make a walnut or any dark wood stock Maple, are you talking about staining it ( because that wont work either, you can Paint it, you Question leaves much to be desired.....

3. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Well? I heard you could use a wood finish stripper, Then sand it down and it would be a light color, Then use Linseed oil or a light colored polyurathene and get the light color I'm looking for.

4. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

I wish you luck, you are correct about one thing after you strip it and sand it down it will be lighter ( but lighter than what ) a little lighter than is was,, it wont be anywhere near maple, and that is only if the original finish was stained or a stain was mixed into the original finish, if the original finish did not have a stain on it and if it was just clear coated when you sand it down it will look a little lighter but as soon as you put a clear finish on it it will go right back to the same color that is was remember a Rose is a Rose is a Rose, and a walnut stock is a walnut stock is a walnut stock, although there are some light walnut stocks and there are some dark walnut stocks etc. you may want to try bleach but I dont recommend it ...

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Trade stocks for the one you want.

6. turmite

turmite Member

Targetmaster do you know if the stock on the gun is walnut, or birch? If by chance it is birch, you can get a light colored stock easily. I would recommend that you sand the finish off rather than strip if it is birch, because should it be birch, they have used a penetrating dye on the wood to simulate walnut.

Another option is to strip the finish, regardless of wood, then bleach the wood to your shade of lightness. Yes, walnut can be bleached till there is no color in it. To find the bleach solution, go to Brownell's web site and look under stock finishes, plus always do the web search. You will find what you need. Remember, if you go back with an oil finish, it is going to turn amber and if, linseed oil, quite a bit darker over time.

Mike

ps a quick google search using bleaching wood as my key words, netted, 2,460,000
    references, most of which will not apply! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.