1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to Change a Collet in a 9000GN

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 28410, Aug 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 28410

28410 TS Member

I need to replace the collet in my 9000GN. I have talked with MEC but I would appreciate a step by step guide to removal and replacement. Any help would be appreciated.

2. IndyJohnO

IndyJohnO TS Member

Over the years, I have done it twice.

When MEC sends you the new collet the detailed instructions are included. There is not much to it.

JohnO

3. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

before you put the new one in take a saw and cut a slot across the bottom where the nut goes it makes for an easy ajustment and installtion i dont know why mec dont do it rick

4. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

I just changed mine last week. Go to the MEC web site and open the owners manual. I think page 21 or 22 has what you need. Ricks1 has a good idea about cutting a slot in the bottom of the Collet. The screw driver you use will fit in the cut slot and make turning the new one easier.

Arnie

5. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

While apart, I coat the fingers and sleeve with anti seize paste using a flux paste brush from the plumbing department of the local home center. Make sure your fingers are level with the deck. The lifter should be adjusted so that the resized hull will spin freely without getting caught on the fingers. I use a socket on the nut on the bottom (15/16?) since the support post has a weld that prevents a box end wrench from getting a good hold. Nice idea Ricks1 on the slot. I change 10+ per year depending on how many presses I refurbish. Some of the MEC instruction manuals are clear, and some are vague. YMMV (Your MEC may vary) Omaha

6. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I reach in with a needle nose plyers to work the collet up through the hole. I don't undo the chain link. It's not necessary and you can still lube that part before installing the new collet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.