1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to call police

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tom-n8ies, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

HOW TO CALL THE POLICE
    George Phillips of Meridian , Mississippi was going up to bed, when his wife told him that he'd left the light on in the garden shed, which she could see from the bedroom window. George opened the back door to go turn off the light, but saw that there were people in the shed stealing things.

He phoned the police, who asked 'Is someone in your house?' He said 'No.' Then they said 'All patrols were busy. You should lock your doors and an officer will be along when one is available.' George said, 'Okay' He hung up the phone and counted to 30.

Then he phoned the police again. 'Hello, I just called you a few seconds ago because there were people stealing things from my shed. Well, you don't have to worry about them now because I just shot them and he hung up.

Within five minutes, six Police Cars, a SWAT Team, a Helicopter, two Fire Trucks, a Paramedic, and an Ambulance showed up at the Phillips' residence, and caught the burglars red-handed.

One of the Policemen said to George, 'I thought you said that you shot them!'
    George said, 'I thought you said there was nobody available!'

2. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

At my age it's hard to remember that 911 number. .....Rick

3. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Forwarded it to our local police chief. I think he has a sense of humor. I'll find out.

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Illegal? Hope it's not true; I once told the police that "I'm thinking of getting my gun" when some neighbor kids were were throwing rocks into my yard..Worked like a charm.

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

See Snopes, link above. This story has been on the internet since 2001 and the Meridian newspaper indicates it was never issued in their product but there's a nugget of truth buried in the generalities. Like Vern, I'm retired law enforcement and had a career on two departments that considered serving the public #1 on the job. I am neither insulted by the gist of the internet story, accurate or not, or offended by the posting here. However, I see too much of the basic complaint in modern agencies. I personally called in a burglary attempt on my auto at a motel in a visited community and got the same treatment complained about in this story only to see a resident deputy 3 blocks away enjoying coffee and gabbing with folks at his idling car. My instructions were, "Come into the office tomorrow and fill out a report for insurance purposes yourself!" There was no interest in collecting evidence or, obviously, any thought to clear the offense....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

6. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

I have a sign by my front door. It has a toy gun on it with the words "We don't dial 911" The sheriff was by my house to visit and he told me he liked the sign.

Ken Cerney

Wisconsin

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Vern, my situation is simple. Over the years since I retired, 1984, I've seen the attitude I described in local departments growing and growing. Minor wrecks aren't investigated, if a wreck is investigated highways are simply closed and "to heck with the convenience of other motorists," property crimes aren't on any sort of list of importance, the public is asked to file their own reports to cover insurance but there's no attempt to investigate or solve, complaints for lack of action are basically rationalized with the "no one's available" mantra and so on. This is just not the way I was trained nor how I tried to behave.....Bob Dodd

8. DocJim

DocJim Member

Dial 911 and report a "home invasion". Leave the line open and after a few seconds shout "I have a gun and I will shoot you if you come through that door". Guaranteed to get a swift police response.................AJ

9. atashooter

atashooter Member

The new website for reporting emergencies to police...

www.helpme_ohmygodtheyareinside.com\nevermindImdead

LOL

10. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I told my wife; if alarm goes off, you call 911, I will, along my two friends (Smith & Wesson), take care of the problem. This is for entertainment purposes (or is it?). BT-100dc

11. rebelace

rebelace TS Member

well where i live i wouldnt count them to save my a** so you know that i would just call the coroner

12. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

I came home from work one day and two dogs had got into my garage. one of the dogs was injured and the other was fiercly protecting the other. He would not let me out of the car or anyone in the garage. The Dog catcher was closed so I called the county police. As in the original post, it was shift change and no one was available. I said OK I am going to shoot both dogs. Before I could get into the house I heard sirens. Problem solved. I have had the un pleasure of calling the police three times and all three times it was either shift change or no one was available.................Roger

13. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

No problem here with the post. Why does the government like to cut police and fire jobs along with closing libraries to save money? Lives are only a statistic to the government, local included, police officers cost money. Your property is just stuff that can be replaced by the insurance companies or so our government, local included, believe. But then the government, local included, can't understand why insurance premiums go up.

Your property is your property and you should be able to do what ever is necessary to protect family, self and property. Of course the government, and local included, does not see it my way. "Stupidity has a habit of getting it's way". Michael

14. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Heard of a guy shooting someone stealing tools from his shed. He used frozen paint balls. They had no problem identifying them at the emergency room. He claimed self defense since they were going to hit him with his own tools that they were stealing. Judge wasn't to kind to the robbers since they had a long list of previous robberies.

15. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

SUBCHAPTER D. PROTECTION OF PROPERTY

Sec. 9.41. PROTECTION OF ONE'S OWN PROPERTY. (a) A person in lawful possession of land or tangible, movable property is justified in using force against another when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to prevent or terminate the other's trespass on the land or unlawful interference with the property.

(b) A person unlawfully dispossessed of land or tangible, movable property by another is justified in using force against the other when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to reenter the land or recover the property if the actor uses the force immediately or in fresh pursuit after the dispossession and:

(1) the actor reasonably believes the other had no claim of right when he dispossessed the actor; or

(2) the other accomplished the dispossession by using force, threat, or fraud against the actor.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, Sec. 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994.

Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:

(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or

(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, Sec. 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994.

Sec. 9.43. PROTECTION OF THIRD PERSON'S PROPERTY. A person is justified in using force or deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property of a third person if, under the circumstances as he reasonably believes them to be, the actor would be justified under Section 9.41 or 9.42 in using force or deadly force to protect his own land or property and:

(1) the actor reasonably believes the unlawful interference constitutes attempted or consummated theft of or criminal mischief to the tangible, movable property; or

(2) the actor reasonably believes that:

(A) the third person has requested his protection of the land or property;

(B) he has a legal duty to protect the third person's land or property; or

(C) the third person whose land or property he uses force or deadly force to protect is the actor's spouse, parent, or child, resides with the actor, or is under the actor's care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.