1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to build up a stock?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jjv1234, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjv1234

jjv1234 Member

Recently purchaed a new gun that does not have an adjustable stock. It is just a straight stock on a trap gun and I need it to shoot higher. I know that some shooters have used things like moleskin to build up the comb area to get the gun shooting higher.

My questions are these: Should a person put something over the moleskin like tape or some other material to help keep it in place? What is least likely to damage the finish on the stock? What is least likely to tear up my cheek? Does it need replacing from time to time? Anything else I should know?

Any advice or pictures would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Moleskin is cheap and an easy way to find out how high you want it. Then check into Cheek-eze and Scope-eze pads for the next level of cost. You may decide to have an adjustable comb installed, or look for a different rear stock, depending the brand and model of gun you have, and how much money you want to invest. Mark

3. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

jjv1234:

Check your private messages.

sissy

4. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I have always used Meadow industries, "Convert a stock pad". It works great, comes in brown and attaches with 2 strips of velcro and it should not hurt your stock should you decide to take it off "carefully".
    Steve Balistreri

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I'm going the "bondo" route next time I need to get a low stock higher and then test my paint skills to make it match the orig wood.

6. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

"Wrapid Comb" is is another solution, I think their web address is shotgun solutions.com, if not Google them under Wrapid Comb.

Surfer

7. steele

steele TS Member

After numerous attempts at getting the right height on the better 1/2s gun. I went ahead & had an adj comb installed. Moleskin works for awhile, then it started an abrasion on her face. The slip on pads would work to get the height, but they also seemed to add to the side of the stock, causing mis-alignment down the rib. Butch from Pgh

8. maka

maka Member

I went to a fabric store and purchased some stick on velcro. I then went a discount store and purchased a viynal device which you normally would use on your care seat belt to make it more comfortable on your chest. Folded it over
    the stock on the velcro. Was a little thick but did not abrade the face like mole shin. Just my attempt. Good luck.

9. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Muzzleblast has it right. Get an adjustable comb installed. Best money you'll ever spend.

Ed Yanchok

10. noatrophy

noatrophy Member

If you decide to go the adjustable comb route, be very, very, very sure that you get several referances and recommendations from folks here on the forum.

I sent my Citori off in May to have one installed, and I've yet to get it back.

The guy NEVER returns phone calls or emails either.

I wouldn't wish this off on my worst enemy.

11. jjv1234

jjv1234 Member

Thanks for the advice - I agree that an adjustable comb is the best long term solution however I should have been a little more detailed in my description.

The gun is not new, just new to me. It is a Model 31 in good condition with original stock that I really do not want to cut up - at least not yet. This will be a back-up/fun-to-shoot-doubles gun. I wanted something classic and quality however it just shoots too flat and I need a way to get the gun shooting higher without molesting the wood.

12. Mapper

Mapper Member

I have one of those stick-on pads mentioned above on my 31. They come in different thicknesses, so a little experimenting may be in order. If you are crafty, a chunk of vinyl and some double faced tape would work too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

build up shotgun stock

how to build up a shotgun stock