1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to become a two eyed shooter?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Steer Tripper, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steer Tripper

Steer Tripper TS Member

I am a squinter. When I am shooting I squint my left eye.

When I really work at it I can shoot two eyed. Was wondering what I could do?
    I know Kaye Ohye has a tape about becoming a two eye shooter.

When shooting doubles I can start out two eye but alot of the time after shooting the first target I will squint to shoot the second target.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    David

2. neb

neb TS Member

Kay Ohye has a very good tape called learning to shoot with two eyes. Best trap shooting video ever made, in MHO

3. Steer Tripper

Steer Tripper TS Member

Trapshooter 92,

Your advise is like some one asking how to hit the targets. DON'T MISS THEM!

Thanks for your help.
    David

4. neb

neb TS Member

Learn How To Shoot Two Eyes
    This tape will take you step by step through different procedures. Learn how to hold your gun higher, look through the gun, be able to see a wider area when converting from one eye to two eyes, along with many practice drills. $49.95
    Watch an excerpt: Quicktime | Windows Media there is even a sample of the video on his web site.

neb

5. Steer Tripper

Steer Tripper TS Member

Neb,

Thanks.
    David

6. Drusso

Drusso Member

Steer Tripper,

I have been shooting trap for about 1 1/2 years and always shot with one eye. About a month ago I decided that it was time to learn to shoot with two eyes. One night at the field it was raining and fellow shooter and myself were in the clubhouse talking about making the switch. He gave me a few pointers and I was sighting targets on the wall of the clubhouse. Basically, as a one eye shooter you have a tendency of using the sight of the gun to line up the shot. Subconciously, you are lining up the barrel to the target continuosly until you pull the trigger. Shooting with two eyes makes you more part of the gun. Believe it or not the gun will follow where you are looking and the shot is more instinctive. Here is another thing you will probably gain when you make the switch. When a one eye shooter sets up you probably have the barrel lined up somewhere near the top of the trap house. One eye shooters have to see the bird then lead the barrel towards it. A one eye shooter tends to hold higher because they have a much better field of vision especially under the gun. They will see the bird come out under the gun and can line the shot up much easier. I also noticed that my perception is much clearer and I see much more than I did when shooting with one eye. I found that looking out past the gun into the field was best for me. When I tried to focus on the barrel my shots were bad.

You can expect your scores to drop while going through the transition, but in the long run you will become a much better shooter. Honestly I picked it up rather quickly, because I committed myself to the fact that I would not go back no matter how bad I shot. Let me tell you the first time I shot doubles I broke every first bird and one out of 25 of the second. Talk about humbling.....

One more thing I found that putting a small piece of translucent scotch tape over your non dominent eye helped me. A small piece in the center of your focal area helps overcome your dominant eye from controlling everything. I hope you have good lukk making the switch. Get someone at your field to give you a hand. I'll bet there is someone there that at some point that switched to shooting with two eyes..........

Sorry for any spelling mistakes. I can't for the life of me figuer out how to tun on the spellchecker when using Firefox........

Damian Russo

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Make sure you don't have an eye situation that is causing you to want to use only one eye. Then quit looking at the barrel or bead and focus both eyes on the target. Trust that if you are in to the gun and it reasonably fits you that it is pointed where your eyes are looking. I liken it to a radar guided gun. Your eyes are the radar. The radar works best with binocular vision. Your gun is tied to the radar. When the radar is locked onto the target, so is your gun. Proper (focused, as in WORK) use of your eyes is critical.

8. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

Get a Vari-Brite II sight. Werked 4 me!

9. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

first - two eyes provide depth perception - depth perception is not necessary when shooting trap where the targets are going away from you - not toward you. You will not hit more targets because you are a two eyed shooter.

To your question - how to do it - I will tell you how I did it. I started with a large piece(s) of tape on my glasses to prevent my off eye from seeing the front bead. I worked at home just pointing an empty gun and getting used to having both eyes open. After a time, I was able to use just a magic dot instead of a big chunk of tape. After a bit more time, I got one of those "see thru the pipe" front sights and then I got rid of the magic dot on my glasses. My doubles gun still has one of those sights on it. Only because I thought I might be cross-firing. I wasn't but I left the sight on. But this was a battle for me and I needed a lot of practice. Problem with that was it did not help me shoot trap better. But if you want to hit targets from Post 8 in skeet, shooting with two eyes is far better than shooting with one eye only.

10. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Steer tripper, your obviously on a computer. With both eyes open, hold your hand up 12" in front of your face and turn it on edge, thumb facing you. With both eyes open, you can look thru your fingers and read the screen. If you turn your hand with your palm facing you, you can't read the screen because the width cuts off your peripheral. A barrel is narrow enough that you can look right thru it. It allows you to see the bird exit the house earlier, adjust to wind/bird condition faster, and focus on the bird quicker, but thats about all. But, there are some really good shooters that shoot with one eye.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to become a 2 eye trap