1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to become a trapshooter ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by amboy49, Jan 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

This is primarily for Indiana residents, but others should feel free to weigh in.

Several years ago I shot registered skeet - then 4 kids to put through college slowed everything up for awhile. Since then I have been shooting skeet on a casual basis but no registered targets. I still have a very competitive nature - but the place(s) to shoot registered skeet targets in Indiana have significantly diminished since the late '80s and early '90s. Additionally, shooting registered skeet involves an entire weekend to shoot the four gun programs - and based on travel distances this also adds the cost of a motel room for the weekend.

I now find I have a curiosity about participating in registered trap shooting - but no mentor since my shooting buddies are all skeet shooters with a little sporting clays as a diversion.

I have a limited general knowledge about registered trap - 16 yard program divided into classes and handicap targets based on average. I believe I have the necessary equipment - a Rem Trap T 1100, a Rem 3200 Trap and K32 - all with 30" barrels and all that fit me well - although I use them to shoot skeet, not trap and have not patterned them to confirm POI. Sufficient reloading equipment and supplies. Proper apparel, etc.

My perception is there is a greater number of places to shoot trap than skeet, the cost might be a little lower ( unless all the options are played ) and so finally to the question.

How best to get started in trying to shoot some registered targets. Obviously this would mean joining the ISTA - but do I need to also join the ATA ? Which clubs to seek out that are new shooter friendly in central Indiana ?

Do I start by shooting only the 16 yard program first - or 16 yard and handicap targets ? Are they both shot on the same day - or does it require a full weekend for most shoots ( not the state or zone shoots )

What do you know now that you would have liked to have known when you first started shooting ?

Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Noel Kendall

2. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I suggest that you go to www.shootata.com, there you can find some more information about the ata there that should help you out. I'm sure others on this site will be able to explain everyhting to you though.

3. 20yard

20yard TS Member

amboy49,

4. TLC Flying

TLC Flying TS Member

Find a local club. Show up with your gun(s) and a smile. Everyone there will help you. There is no initiation or hazing.(Ha Ha) These people will be the nicest you will encounter. Shoot them all, 16, handicap (they will start you on the 20 Yd line, and doubles. It is all fun. Chances are you will know someone there. Do not feel out of place, wa all had to start. BW

5. 20yard

20yard TS Member

amboy49, I am a new shooter and the time isn't that bad, for a registered shoot I shoot 16 yard 100 targets take a break and then the 100 targets of handicapped, Alot of shooting in 3-4 hours. I've watched the doubles but am not good enough to try watching those guys at the line is amazing. I've also found most people very supportive of new shooters and helpful when asked for advice.

Good Shootin'

6. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Noel....Welcome! I really hope you make the effort to start shooting some registered trap.....lots of great people, lots of great fun, absolutely nothing like it !!.....Uncle Sam, Pa.

7. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Noel, Your taking the right approach by asking the proper questions, but not everyone on this site is a trapshooter, so don't expect all the right answers.
    FYI, Every shoot has a program or format. Smaller shoots may shoot all 3 events (singles, from the 16 yard line, handicap, and doubles) in the same day. At larger shoots like the Indiana State shoot, they will put out a program in print, or you can read off the state's website. It will tell you what events are on what day, and what the costs are, plus other important information.

You have the proper guns to get started, except it is usually desired to have a higher shooting gun on trap than skeet cause the targets are rising. You'll have a little learning curve on Point of Impact.

You have to join the ATA to shoot registered targets. Go to www.shootata.com or just show up at one of the shoots. But, I would recommend going to a trap club and get as much information as you can from one of their officers or better shooters. I would shoot quite a bit of practice before attending your first shoot, and watch and learn the sequence of events so your not surprised.

Depending where you are located in Indiana will determine which club would be recommended for practice and learning. Others I'm sure will chime in on that.
    Watch, listen, and learn, but be picky who you take advice from. Shooting classes from one of the top shooters is recommended too. Good Luck

8. amboy49

Some additonal info.

I'm not a total novice to trap. As a young teenager I started going with my Dad in the mid 1960's to Deer Creek, the Ike's in Kokomo, Indiana Gun Club, Rochester, Bunker Hill south of Peru, and Evansville. Made some trips to Vandalia but didn't shoot there. Have been to Sparta, but that's another story.

My very first rounds years ago were shot with a 16 ga. Model 12 with a Poly Choke. My dad had them lock the trap so it wouldn't pivot and stood me on station three at the 16 yard line. Hit more than I missed and I was hooked. Can remember shooting with names from the past like Charlie Bradshaw, Doc Braun (sp?) and a gentleman referred to as "Hiney". I believe his real surname was Hinds, hence the nickname.

Some of the more "mature" shooters from Indiana may remember some or all of these clubs.

All my guns have stocks that have "trap" dimensions - 1 3/8 DAC because that's what allows me to stack the beads and fit me best.

I shoot at IGC on a regular basis - but almost entirely on the skeet range(s) - I've just acquired a Rem 3200 trap gun and shot just a few rounds on the practice range with skeet loads from the 16 yard line. Hit a few and think I might be able to make the conversion from skeet to trap. BTW, for those who have shot both skeet and trap - which is the hardest to try to acquire consistency in breaking targets ?

Any other thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated. I realize there is a learning curve for everything, just trying to take some of the steepness out of it. Practice regimen, mental skills, etc. Some will carry over from competitive skeet, but assume there may be some specific applications to trap rather than skeet.

9. crusha

crusha TS Member

Just find out IGC's registered trap schedule, show up, put in some tighter chokes, and you can pay your ATA dues and shoot registered that same day.

10. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

Amboy49,

Also checkout the ITA web-site above for various clubs shooting registered ATA targets in Indiana.

The gentleman you shot with was Clarence Hinds also called 'Hiney'. At one time Hiney was the oldest 'still shooting' member of the ATA. Hiney competed until he was 95 or 96 years old and has since passed away. He always amazed me as he shot a M-12 and always dipped the gun just before calling for the bird. This was before electronic voice calls. The puller/score keeper's would get use to Hiney and throw the bird when he dipped his gun before he called. Hiney would usually shoot the bird right out of the house. He is in the ITA trapshooting hall of fame and his picture is on the wall at IGC the next time you go.

Deer Creek has stopped shooting registered birds but still shoots practice on Wednesday's starting in the spring. They also shoot the first Saturday night of the month with a 50 bird program starting in the spring.

The Alexandria Conservation & Gun Club, Inc. throws ATA registered birds. Our first 2009 shoot will be April 5, 2009. We shoot the first Sunday of the month from April through October. We also shoot non-registered practice Wednesdays beginning the last Wednesday of March. Come on out and we'll make you feel right at home. Our program is on the web-site above.

Michael Stephenson - Secretary / Treasurer
    Alexandria Conservation & Gun Club, Inc.
    Alexandria Indiana

11. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Amboy e-mail me and I will help you if I can . I,m in north central Ind but have shot all over this state .

12. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

Amboy 49,

It sounds like you are all set to go trap shooting.

About six years ago My wife went from a year round school district job to a Nine month job, told me I had to work over time during the summer to make up for her 3 months off.

So there I was two months into the summer having only had 1 or 2 days off and I become aware that she is using her VISA card to spend about four times what I can possibly make working every possible hour of OT.

Within that week I had shoot trap skeet and five stand, and was shooting aleast once a week. Before anybody jumps in, I was also managing to make some money thru the business I have on the side so I was not joining in on her stupid use of a credit card.

The first night I shot I walked away with scores that made me think, 5 stand is to humbling, Trap at that time felt to easy(I'll add a foot note below) and the skeet scores felt like were I should be with my shooting.

Three weeks after showing up to the club just to shoot I was on a league, Skeet.

After Shooting the league And looking at the long winter of NO week night shooting, and no leagues until the spring, and not having shot in a month.

I looked at the oppertunites to shoot, and the Winter chain looked like the ticket, With working a rotating shift and odd days off, almost every day off I had there was a shoot within 2 to 3 hours of home. So I showed up at the local club with cash, my favorite shotgun, and enough reloads to shoot all day, and six years later if I could keep the wife out of my fun money I would be shooting even more!

Al

and to the foot note, When I shot 45 or 46 out of 50 that first night, at that point almost 25 years since I had last shot a clay bird, it just seemed to easy, so skeet where I had shot 39 or 40 out of 50 felt like about where my shooting should be at that time. I found out how wrong I was about trap and easy, but all shooting is fun, even that freaking 5stand!

13. razor

razor TS Member

first thing you got to do is go down to your local house of pancakes and order a tall stack of cakes with three eggs over easy on top of the cakes. break the yolks so they run down the sides and add as much butter as you can find, top with plenty of syrup and do this every day for six months and you will become a trapshooter. razor & ellie

14. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Don't forget....wear wrinkled dirty old t-shirts in the summer along with denim bermuda shorts that are 2 sizes too big.....

Oh...and let's not forget the dirty, nasty old hats and sneakers...a must for the ultimate trapshooter.

Curt

15. amboy49

Thanks all for the suggestions, insights, and anecdotes.

Not sure if I can fulfill the clothing requirements nor the diet regimen - but sure would be worth trying, at least the pancake breakfast(s) !

Since we skeet shooters tend to go on the cheap whenever possible as evidenced by the fact that I am loading 7/8 oz in the 12 ga. Can I use 1 oz loads if I stay on the 16 yard line and expect reasonable results ?

Hope to get out and at the very least shoot some practice rounds if the Indiana weather will cooperate.

Again thanks for the input

16. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

You can use 1 oz all the way back to the fence it breaks them there also.

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Start with a million dollars. Spend it on shooting trap. Then you will be a real trapshooter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.