1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to attach patches

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by raptor1956, May 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raptor1956

raptor1956 TS Member

I have recently acquired some patches that I would like to put on my shooting bag. Sewing them on is not an option. The bag is made out of nylon. Does anyone know of a way to attach them securely?

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

Staples?

3. alpine

alpine TS Member

As much as I am a fan of staples, maybe hot glue?

4. Dale Z

Dale Z TS Member

iron on adhesive HeatnBond Ultra Hold available at sewing stores or Walmart

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ya know if your worried about sewing because of it being nylon I would be even more worried about any hot iron method of attachment.

Have you considered a clear packing tape?

Better yet have you thought about getting something other than a nylon bag? They aint all that dang expensive ya wanna know betcha eh?

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I've had any number of nylon items embroidered, why not patches?!
    Jay

7. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

Most dry cleaners employ seamstreses and most will sew on a patch to whatever.

8. Mac V

Mac V Guest

I have used Weldwood contact cement successfully to attach patches to lots of things. I trace around the patch with a pencil and brush some cement on the surface and some on the back of the patch. After about 10 minutes, stick the patch where you want it.

<strong>NOTE!</strong> The cement will be permanent on both surfaces (at least I've never tried to remove it); that may not be an issue for the patch but it may be for what you want to mount it on.

Mike

9. atashooter

atashooter Member

I have patches sewn on nylon jackets, also I have them applied with a hot glue adhesive, both work well for me.

10. Mac V

Mac V Guest

<blockquote>"What ould prevent you from sewing on nylon. I do it all the time."</blockquote>

If it's a bag, it's probably Cordura or some other ballistic-weight nylon. I've tried to stitch to that stuff myself and found that only a leather stitcher and a bayonet-size needle will do it for me.

Mike

11. BrooklynPrep69

BrooklynPrep69 TS Member

Fabric glue works well.

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

contact cement. done all the time.

13. raptor1956

raptor1956 TS Member

Thank you all for your help. Looks like off to the sewing shop for me for some adhesive. Mac V I think it must be a form of ballistic nylon with a rubber backing it is really tough to try to sew, glue of some kind will work a lot better I hope. Thanks again for your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.