1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to aim the target?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ansvel, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ansvel

ansvel Member

Let start from point when I got in position and my barrels are pointing
    toward a trap house.

I call for target. The target appears above my barrels.

Then what?

1.I follow the target with my pupils and when the target is reached the highest
    point I will move my body and the gun to heat the target?
    But in this case I loose the reference where my barrels are!
    Because I’m looking to different place…

Do I miss something?
    Please answer at least AA shooters.

Thanks.

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Sorry, I can't answer being only an A shooter....Bob Dodd

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

AA only? I shoot AA shells - is that OK?

There are some good trapshooting books and Videos. Get some.

You know so little but.... AA only - right?

First question: Are you a two eyed shooter?
    Second: Do you know which is your master eye?

The AA guys just may want that info. to help you.

Don - who cannot help you.

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Using one or two eyes? If two is the shoulder your shooting from also your "master eye" side?

How old are you?

Have you played any other sports prior to trapshooting?

Do you have any idea what the POI of your gun is?

Why are you wanting to aim at the target/spot where your wanting to break?

5. ansvel

ansvel Member

Thanks for answers..
    Well, gents, I meant good shooters only…. "A"’s are welcome...
    1. I shoot with two eyes open, with right master eye.
    2. My POI is above the barrels, I’d say 20/80.
    3. I’m 43.
    4. I do work out, I’m 6’4 and 230lb.
    5. What is procedure with board?

Why are you wanting to aim at the target/spot where your wanting to break? –can you explain ?

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

When you become a AA shooter you will notice that the gun goes where your eyes focus which is 98.5%(+) of the time on target. All of that is something that happens with out much thought as it is a conditioned reflex developed through tens of thousands of repetive motion events that begin with pull....

If you are focusing on 'aiming' or looking at the barrel you don't need to worry about classification.

7. ansvel

ansvel Member

2 wolfram:
    Looks like you were born with "AAAAA" skills. Congratulations!!!
    I just want to be something close to “A”, that why I’m asking these silly questions..

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

ansvel, PM sent to you guy. Hap

9. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

ansvel

Before you get jerked around any more. You should be focused on the target and see the bead/barrel relationsip in your periphery vision. Its a shared visual acquisition, with your eyes locked on the target, and if the gun is locked into your mount, the gun follows your gaze naturally. If the gun is set up to center pattern on what you are looking at, you can give the target complete visual committment and gain confidence.

Shooters that struggle with the "point" generally do not have the gun personally set to center moving targets, or are still loading the targeting solutions data into their human computer (brain). New shooters tend to bead check, just to find out what the initial sight picture is for every angle (the data). Takes time, but less time if your see the target clearly during the shot process. Allowing your subconscious to trigger based on acquiring the target sight picture with the bead/barrel relationship in the periphery.

Bead checking for us old and experienced shooters is a common bad habit/mistake, usually related to a loss of confidence or a lost target that sure looked good. The bead check can become overwhelming or repetitive, creating low scores or under average scores until the shooter realizes the error.

Maltzie

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I wasn't born with any real skills other than turning food into crap by the ton.

I did however make it to AA26AA and placed on the state team a couple of times. The 'trick' was tons and tons of practice as in 4-5 times per week 200-300 rounds per session. Even though a person makes these types of shooting accomplishments, they aren't permanent. You have to continually practice to maintain your skill level, it takes real commitment to do something like this for a few decades. I like a variety activities so my serious trap shooting days are behind me for now, recreational skeet is a lot more fun right now.

But the one most important thing I did learn is that the little bead on the end of the shotgun barrel is only for verifying that your head is in the proper position on the gun before you call for the target. After you say that magical word then forget about the bead and focus on the target, if your head stays on the gun as it was before you called pull then the gun will move with your eyes. You force your body to do this by moving your eyes by moving your head which of course you have mentally welded to the gun. Eventually you will find this so automatic that you won't really be aware that you even pulled the trigger. The entire effort becomes smooth and fluid but it takes time. The worst thing you can do is to overthink thinks and approach the game as it it were a long range rifle event.

11. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Currently B but I once was AA and I did stay at a Holiday Inn and have shot 100 straight once or twice.

Aiming is where you line up the back sight, front sight and the target; focusing on the front sight. This takes too much time to effectively shoot a moving target that is rapidly going away from you.

When shooting a moving target with a shotgun, the best way is to point the shotgun. This is where you focus on the target and point the barrel. When shooting Trap singles or handicap the best way to obtain the forward allowance (lead) needed is to use the swing through method. This method is where you come from behind the target and shoot right at or just in front of the leading edge of the target.

The fastest way to get the basics down is to take a clinic or lessons. Next best is to find some one at your club who can see where you are missing. Get a trap to yourself and have it set for straight aways. Shoot from post 3 to get zeroed in, then move to the other post. Then set the trap for the extreme right angle, start on post 1 and move. Then set the trap for the extreme left angle and start at post 5 and move.

Jason

12. ansvel

ansvel Member

OK gents, thanks to all of you!

Just one thing.
    Do you want to say, if I will follow the targets with my eyes, my body will follow me
    with no exceptions? What about the situation, when people do not move they bodies?
    I’d call this, “arm or hand shooting”, and usually miss the target. How does it happen?

13. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

If your head stays in the same place on the comb of the stock and your mind set is to point the barrel at the leading edge of the target; the barrel will move to the target.

Arm or hand shooting happens because the head is not staying on the stock, most likely because they are not turning their body.

Another situation is were the shooter lifts his/her head before the shot is taken. This will result in the shot going high.

14. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

Ansvel, in all seriousness you need to either get PROFESSIONAL help or take two weeks off and then quit.

15. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Trapshooting is really quite simple------when the target appears, point the gun at it-->and shoot.

John C. Saubak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best way to aim a shotgun at moving targets
how to aim a shotgun for trap

how to aim for trap

how to shoot trap where to aim at the target
seeing the target in trapshooting

trap shooting how to aim

where to aim at trap targets
where to aim in trap