1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to adjust comb?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by nick54, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nick54

nick54 TS Member

Just purchased a SKB 85TSS and would like to know the objective of comb adjustment and the step required to accomplish that objective. You got to start somewhere, you got to learn somehow ! Thanks for the help fellas.

2. pjh

pjh Member

OK now come more advice than you can imagine. Not just from me. ... anyway. The comb has a few purposes. one is to set your gun up so that when you mount the gun your face is lined up right to left. The second poupose is to change the Point of impact. The higher your face the higher your gun will shoot. When all is said and done you want to be able to close your eyes and mount the gun. when you open them your eyes should be lined up straight down the rib. (mean not right or left of center) as far as height goes. You will have to pattern the gun. I shoot 85% high so that I can always see the target. Set up a pattern sheet about 16 paces out. shoot it with 5 shots. evaluate the pattern and make adjustments from there. Hope it helps. PJH

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

First, get a handful of washers that will fit over the posts holding the comb. These are your measuring devices. At home, add or subtract washers as required for you to mount your gun comfortably. Next go the the club and check the POI at 13 yards. Use a rest. Adjust the comb so it is consistently shooting one or two inches high and then shoot a few practice rounds. You should be able to tell if you need to make the gun shoot higher or lower. Keep changing washers and practicing until you believe you have things right. Next comes the fun part. Shoot 500-1000 registered targets and then evaluate what you did right or wrong. Do not make premature adjustments. It can require 1000 registered birds to determine if any changes are required. You will have good days and bad days. It takes some time to figure out if the bad days were caused by you or where your gun shoots.

Pat Ireland

4. JLW

JLW TS Member

Pat has the answer. You are looking to get the line between your eye, the bead and the target correct. Only experience will give that. But, patterning on paper is the place to start. Remember too that beads aligned will not always put the shot on target.

Also.......sometimes the hole for the set screw swells with moisture and weather. To remove the setscrew, always remove the comb and screw the setscrew into the hole to avoid chipping around the hole.-Jerald

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

All of the people above have it wrong, I am sorry to say. The first thing to do is set the comb left/right adjustment, so when you mount the gun the beads are lined up. Then go to the patterning board and at 13 yards fire at least ten shots from a rest,aiming the gun like you would a rifle to see if you have a gun that shoots straight windage wise.

If your gun is close to being dead on left/right, you can now adjust the elevation. Your shooting style will determine how high you want it to shoot. HMB

6. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

I've had the 85TSS (unsingle) for just over 1 year. I played with my comb and rib for a while then went to see Tom Smith (Ohio fitter/stockmaker).After 1 hour and $150.....he had me shooting where I look.He has a grease board and a trap machine. My first shots at the grease board (3 of 3)were 6" high and 6" left. He tweeked the comb a little left (I'm a south paw), put the rib at neutral (center of adj.),and raised the comb a little (also higher on front post).He then put a Kickeeze pad on ($50.. more)with about 1/2" spacer which was tapered to adjust pitch.I've only been shooting 2 years......and that was only Oct-April (golf takes over in Summer). About 4 weeks after seeing Tom..I called him to tell him I ran my 1st 25 straight.....almost 50 straight.Once you find your settings,write them down and don't change a thing for a Long time !I did go back to my old butt pad (1/2" shorter)in the coldest months as I felt the effects of too many layers.I read Rollin's book,others, and many threads here.....but if you can find a fitter......It's well worth it. (Especially the first time)

7. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

That is true....but, being a little "green" it was a nice to have Tom do it and go thru the experience. I think I was a bit confused from all I had read and Tom is only 20 miles away.Just "picking" his brain and seeing his setup was well worth it ! Also an adjustable comb and rib can be overwehlming if it's your 1st time.....and are not a "genious". To me seeing it done made it crystal clear.
    P.S. Tom is semi-retiring....maybe 2 stocks a year and some fittings.

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

nick54, you got a lot of mixed advice here. You should take some of it with a grain of salt.

The objective of an adjustable comb is to help you set your gun up to shoot where you look. Go to a patterning board and stand with the muzzle 13 yards away from the paper. Draw a big tic tac toe sign on it and put a big plus sign in the center. That gives you 9 intersections to fire at. Take your normal shooting stance. Mount your gun normally, put the bead on an intersection and fire.

While you are doing this, only pay attention to the front bead. Forget you have a center bead and do_not_try_to_line_it_up with the front. You are trying to conform the gun to you, not the other way around. You can line up the beads with the comb in a number of different positions. What does that prove? That you are flexible? It surely will not help you set the gun up to shoot where you look.

Adjust windage first. Loosen the comb and move it in the direction you want your shot to go. Say you shot the first three intersections and found you were consistently shooting to the left. That means you want to move the shot right, so loosen the comb and slide it to the right. Shoot again. It may take a few tries, but you'll eventually arrive at a setting that puts all your shots on the vertical lines. You now have your windage adjusted. If you bother to look at your middle bead, you'll find it now aligns with the front (as long as you don't have a hardware problem). That is a by-product of moving your eye (the reason you adjust the comb in the first place) so that your eye, the front bead and the aiming point are all in alignment when you stand and mount normally.

No adjust for elevation. If you want to raise the shot, raise the comb. The advice you got to adjust so that you are hitting between 1" and 2" high at 13 yards is good advice, and a good starting point.

Hope you enjoy your new gun.

BTW, shooting from a rest, aiming like a rifle and the like when shooting for POI is designed to tell you where the gun shoots with a particular sight picture. If you line up the beads, aim and shoot from a rest and the gun shoots off to the left, you have a hardware problem. The barrel could be bent, the choke (tube) eccentric or the bead(s) not installed properly. That is valuable information.

9. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

If you are unsure of the set up procedure, I would most certainly see a guy like Tom and go thru the procedure w/ a professional. You'll waste a lot of shells and time otherwise. Makes that $150 a cheap trip over the long haul. He can also check your length of pull, pressuer points, and other little things you may be doing wrong. I've been to Tom's place many times and have always learned something. His stocks, checkering, and finishing are fantastic.

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

What is the significance of the "13 yards" distance, that many of you recommend?

Jay Spitz

11. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I've wondered that too. I've been to 3 professional stock fitters, and have never shot at 13 yards. Was that printed in some manual or text by a professional?

12. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I shoot a full choke at 28 yards as my my "set up basis". It comfortably allows a 20-22" pattern to be displayed on a 4' grease board, and is enough distance to show any needed horizontal adjustment.

13. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Nick,

I too strongly suggest you visit a good stock fitter. The reasons are many but a few are: "How" you shoot, your stance, gun mount and body posture, will have a small affect on your correct comb position as will several other stock dimensions, to say nothing of the type of gun you shoot, specifically, the style of the stock, field or Monte Carlo with a rising or parallel comb.

Setting up a gun to shoot where you look is more than a matter of being able to sight it like a rifle and get the pattern to go where you want. You must be able to do it consistently when you shoot it offhand at moving targets and that is where it becomes important to use a correct shooting form.

Visit a good stock fitter. The cost of his services will be a very good investment.

Rollin

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bill- If you shoot a pattern at 35 yards, it is not possible to determine the center of the pattern with any accuracy. The POI can be determined very accurately at 13 yards. If the POI is 2 inches high at 13 yards it will be 6 inches high at the distance most targets are shot.

Pat Ireland

15. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

8708.........this may get better ! Rollin....your book is good,I read it 3 times and am still learning...but (as you have always maintained)..a fitter is better...having read your book, I could talk apples to apples with my fitter.
    P.S. Tom's grease board is about 13-16yds away....your tightest choke (if applicable) is used.Not to open a can of worm's, but I think the rib adjustment is for sight picture ....mainly ? P.S P.S....where is Nick54?...either out "patterning" or looking for a shrink !

16. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Pat,

Thanks for helping me understand the correlation.

Jay

17. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Where is this Tom located.

18. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Tom is located in Weston,Ohio....... about 10 miles west of Bowling Green.

19. nick54

nick54 TS Member

I wish I could say that I have been putting to use all this great advice, however I have to work to not only support my gun habits but a family of 4 with a son in collage. Well since I'm here now let me start with thanks to all who have responded. Hey maclellan1911, you sure wern't kidding. Ok, I suppose for starters I will tinker a bit since going to a fitter now will likely bring a bit of heat from the wife, just spent over 2g's on gun, case and acdcessories ya know. I do however think this is ultimately the correct course to take. I get the 13 yard concept and will begin constructing a pattern board. Fortunately my rib is not adjustable which spares compounding the difficulty. After digesting all this I kind of favor zzt's approach, I guess just because it make the most sense to me. Please be assured that this is not to suggest the rest are full of hot air, after all I'm the newbe here ya know. Once I take some shots at this setup I'll be back to let you know just how thuroughly confused I am. Oh by the way thanks to those of you who may have discussed the firing pin issuse with the SKB's, I called and they agreed that my gun needed them replaced, I paid going, they serviced and will return on their account. I should have it this coming Monday the 16th.

20. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Thanks for the info MarkSLC......confusing as it can be. So is it correct that the sight picture IS the "bird/bead" relationship? Hoping to someday understand ALL of this !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.